1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New vista install

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by dan223, Feb 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dan223

dan223 Thread Starter

I wanted to install vista on an old machine of mine, according to the windows upgrade advisor it will run fine.

I have formatted the computer.

1. Boot from DVD
    2. Displays "Setup is loading files"
    3. Then takes you to the loading bar, and just sits there, so it looks like its crashed, I have left it on for a few hours and it’s still the same.

I have tried the disk on other computers and it gets to the setup menu fine, however this is the only computer I want to install it on for the moment, is there something that vista hasn’t got like by display drivers, will I have to buy a new copy of vista for the new drivers to be installed on it, or is it something totally different.

Your help would be greatly appreciated

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    How old is the computer? Can you list the hardware specs of it?

3. dan223

dan223 Thread Starter

Its about 2-3 years, it has:
    512mb ram
    2ghz processor
    128mb graphic card <-- about a year old.
    1 DVD Rom
    1 DVD re-writer
    I have unplugged all external devices appart from keyboard

I have a simular spec laptop and it gets past the setup screen fine. I have tried putting a different graphics card in, and once again does the exact same thing. It works on every computer apart from the one I want it on!

I'm starting to get really stuck on this now, I wanted to have a play around with vista, but it looks like I will have to use another computer which I really don't want to have to do, if you could help that would be great :)

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    What motherboard?

5. dan223

dan223 Thread Starter

Its an asrock, I'm currently away from home at the moment so I would be unable to say the exact model. However just looking at asrocks site it says they are "An expert in Windows Vista" So surely they would have sorted this out :p

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Maybe not their older products, or it may need a BIOS update.

The only thing Asrock is an expert in cheap products.

7. Crusnik

Crusnik

That was my case... My motherboard isn't the newest and the install would hang each time. After I updated the BIO's, smooth sailing.

8. dan223

dan223 Thread Starter

It has been running fine, and when I bought the motherboard it was bundles with most of the things I would need. Looking at there site http://www.asrock.com/mb/download.asp?Model=K7S8X there is not bios update, so would you suggest?

9. Crusnik

Crusnik

Try loading all your motherboard drivers during the Vista install, like off a CD or USB thumb drive.

If you're installing onto a SATA hd, maybe try an IDE one to see if that helps.

10. dan223

dan223 Thread Starter

How would I do that? the problem is i get to just as the progress bar starts to just load the setup area! Setup is loading files, that finishs displays the process bar and hangs.

11. Crusnik

Crusnik

=X... Thought it was freezing a little past that.

12. dan223

dan223 Thread Starter

No :(

Anyone have any other options for me to try?

13. souljha.88

souljha.88

hey guys... im having the same problem ... i load vista from the boot menu via startup.. it says "windows is loading setup files" then when it comes the the slide bar it goes past for about 20 seconds then it jus hangs i left my pc for about 2 hours stil the same thing?... any ideas.. i have the same motherboard as the original poster.. what can be done?

14. uhaligani

uhaligani Guest

Thats about the stage where it is looking for updates or, at least, trying to establish internet connection. TRy taking out the network card and make sure you have any blocks in the initial setup windows, asking to go on the web (For updates, activation, etc.) unticked.

15. souljha.88

souljha.88

siR are u sure because... when i put the disc in i switch on pc press F11 as thats the boot menu select my drive that i boot it from then tha white bar cums up saying windows is starting setup then when it comes to the green bar it freezes? i mean it hasnt installed no software nothing so how can it be checking for that just curious?

thanx

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541395

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice