1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Volume After Recovery Drive Created

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Guyzer, Jun 11, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. Guyzer

Guyzer Thread Starter

First Name:
    Guy
    Windows Update did it's latest thing yesterday so I figured it was time to create a Recovery Drive.
    I formatted a USB stick and let Windows 10 do it's thing. Everything seemed to go ok so I removed the stick. After a bit of time while working on some files I noticed it created a " New Volume ( G: ) " on my hard-drive. When I right click on it it in the file tree it says the folder is empty. If I right click and select " Properties " it says it has 64.5 GB Used space with 19.9 GB of Free Space. It also shows me the Capacity is 20.0 GB.
    What's going on? Do I need it? Can I delete it? ( no delete option if I right click )
    Thanks for your help....

2. Sponsor

3. dckeks

dckeks

First Name:
    Darrin
    Drive letter Assigned to WinRE

This is a known error caused by the latest update. It adds a drive letter to the WinRE partition. To fix perform the following:

Type command to start searching the menu
    Right click on Command Prompt from menu
    Select to Run As Administrator
    Once in Command Prompt Windows then type of copy and paste each of the commands followed by Enter.

Note: (The 'Volume and Disk Letter may be different on your system so make sure to select the correct ones. If any questions provide a screen shot after list volume)

diskpart
    list volume
    select volume 1
    remove letter=G

4. Guyzer

Guyzer Thread Starter

First Name:
    Guy

I know the Drive letter is " G " but how do I find out what the Volumn # is? I don't want to use " 1 " until I know for a fact that's the case.
    By The way... I appreciate the help.

5. dckeks

dckeks

First Name:
    Darrin
    Provide a screenshot after running list volume and I will help

6. Guyzer

Guyzer Thread Starter

First Name:
    Guy
    Cellphone shot.................

I'm thinking Volume 6 but I'll wait for your advice.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  7. dckeks

dckeks

First Name:
    Darrin
    Thanks for the picture that helps me understand your issue now. The recovery partition is created anytime you create a Recovery drive. At the end of the process it should have provided an option to delete the drive. Since that was not selected and you want to delete probably the easiest method to remove is by following the guide in the link below. You can also use th same method with other partition software such as minitool. Let me know if any questions.

https://www.howtogeek.com/139710/remove-your-pc’s-recovery-partition-and-take-control-of-your-hdd/

8. Guyzer

Guyzer Thread Starter

First Name:
    Guy
    I actually did select the " Delete " option at the end of the Recovery Drive creation but as we can see that didn't happen.
    It surprised me actually.

I've downloaded the program hilited in your link and have one question before I proceed. Do I delete ONLY the New Volume partition " G "? What about The Recovery Partition? That looks pretty large but what do I know?

9. dckeks

dckeks

First Name:
    Darrin
    Only G. The other is only 900mb and you do not want to delete.

10. Guyzer

Guyzer Thread Starter

First Name:
    Guy
    I got the program up and running and followed the instructions to a tee....

This is what I saw first.............. I right clicked as instructed and selected " Delete "

[​IMG]

This popped up. I clicked OK....

[​IMG]

After clicking OK this screen popped up and showed G was gone....

[​IMG]

The instructions at this point say... " No changes are made to your hard drive at this stage,
    and you can queue up a couple of operations to be performed one after the other. Now right
    click your C: drive and select the ‘Resize/Move partition’ option. "

If I right click " C " drive as instructed there is no ‘Resize/Move partition’ option. " which is probably a good thing.

At this point I have chosen to " Undo " the action. I will go through the steps from the beginning after you tell me what to do.

11. dckeks

dckeks

First Name:
    Darrin
    Good, now you should follow the steps at the end to resize the partition to reclaim the unallocated space.

12. Guyzer

Guyzer Thread Starter

First Name:
    Guy
    But I can't follow the instructions.
    I said this in my last post....

13. 123Zbyniek

123Zbyniek

14. Guyzer

Guyzer Thread Starter

First Name:
    Guy
  15. Guyzer

Guyzer Thread Starter

First Name:
    Guy
    I used the Windows 10 Disk management and it seems to be gone. I can no longer
    see it in the dir.tree.

16. dckeks

dckeks

First Name:
    Darrin
    Okay, sounds like you got it deleted. Does it show an unallocated space now. If so you should be able to resize it using either disk management or EaseUs. If you are not sure then provide a screen shot with either program.

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1211459

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice