1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New website

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by Recessionbuster, Apr 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Recessionbuster

Recessionbuster Thread Starter

Hello,

We have just launched a new website, and would like to know is it possible using google ads or google analytics if you can find out who looks at your website?
    I know there is small fee involved with the above and if anyone has used it before, I would appreciate your advice. It would be great to get some sales leads out of it.

Thanks

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    I guess the key is what you mean by WHO
    lots of companies provide statistical analytics for websites, customer journey, hits, browser type, country, return visits, length of time on site, pages visited etc
    If your web site is selling - maybe have a chat feature where some one asks if they can help - I have seen this a few times now and worked OK for me. all comes down to price and scale

I will move to web design may be a better forum for this type of question

3. Recessionbuster

Hi Etaf

I think I am looking for the impossible. As it is probably due to data protection of some kind. But I was hoping that should a company be checking out our website, that we could know what company that is. It would be a very hot sales lead.

However I am interested in your suggestion. Can you suggest a site that I can have a look on to see how the chat feature works. I dont know if our type of business would make it work, it is shipping and transport.
    But would love to check it out and see if I can manipulate the idea to come up with something that could suit our business....
    Rgds
    Recessionbuster

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    The chat function I have used recently - all UK - has been on largish sites - Vodafone, Epson, lexmark, linksys and last week ticket master I think, one of the large London show ticket office http://www.londontheatredirect.com/event/9/Lion-King--The.aspx - I think its a great facility - other may not - You have the option to click on chat - but on some sites it pops up and asked if it could help me.
    I looked into this area of Help for O2 back in 2006 and it was part of the callcentre suites available to link with website..

5. Recessionbuster

Thanks Etaf, It is a good idea. I will check it out and see if I can use it. Appreciate your help...
    Need all the help we can get in current climate!

Best of luck

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  7. Recessionbuster

Hi Etaf
    Thats really good information. I have not been aware of such packages. I was going with the idea that you could set up a blog but this is much more advanced. I need to take a good look over them all as am very new to this whole area.
    Thanks for that, It is something that I can definitely use. Just need to educate myself a little. The more interaction on the site the better obviously so this could certainly lead us in that direction to encourage the user to do just that!!!
    Thanks
    Recessionbuster

8. littlephoenix

littlephoenix

for what i know google analytics is free, but will only show location of the visitors, will not dive into detail such as IP, city, state, etc. i think it does tell you what browser they used to view your site though.

9. Recessionbuster

Hi Little Pheonix
    I think that it does show a good bit of details regarding location, not sure if shows IP address, but I think I was being ambitious in the hope that you could buy a report detailing if certain companies were viewing the site.

So on the advice of Etaf, I think I will trying to go down the road of more interaction on the site. Would be grateful of any ideas that would encourage this, as so far site is more informative than interactive.
    Thnks
    R

10. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    The Help I was looking into in 2006 consisted of the following

The areas under review
    - FAQs
    - Guided FAQs
    - Context-Sensitive Help
    - Search
    - Virtual Assistants
    - Live Chat
    - Forums
    - Co Browse
    - Online Demos

I have noticed a lot more use of virtual assistants, and guided search - an example I cam across recently, was "ask Iris" on the toshiba site http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/home.jsp

I can find the virtual assistant example I used the other day - despite looking through history
    I'll bookmark this post and when I come across examples post back here.

RE IP address, when I worked A large american company my IP would be the US - even though I was in the UK - so IP may not help you - even logging into google would take me to a US context search

11. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  12. Recessionbuster

I wish I had spoken to you before I spoke to our website designer. These sites are really very good. It is very hard for the business we are in to make a site so interesting. I am very keen to learn as I am administrator for the site and will be in charge of updating and maintenance. It is key to get further than just checking the site for just information and at this moment, that is only where we are at. I have alot of studying to do on the information you have given me.
    I am also checking out monthly newsletters and subscriptions by user to these will hopefully give us contact details. I am hoping this would not be too difficult, but I am interested in learning how to do it.

13. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    make sure you comply with any data protection requirements, I'm no expert here, but I know when we where working on access and registration, this took a reasonable amount of time to ensure requirements/legal/standards where adopted.

14. Recessionbuster

Thnks for the tip. I will check this out. The contact details I refer to would simply a mailshot via email, I dont think there should be too much involved.
    But I will make sure all angles are covered.

15. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919574

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice