Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

New website

2K views 19 replies 4 participants last post by  motava 
#1 ·
Hello,

We have just launched a new website, and would like to know is it possible using google ads or google analytics if you can find out who looks at your website?
I know there is small fee involved with the above and if anyone has used it before, I would appreciate your advice. It would be great to get some sales leads out of it.

Thanks

#2 ·
if you can find out who looks at your website?
I guess the key is what you mean by WHO
lots of companies provide statistical analytics for websites, customer journey, hits, browser type, country, return visits, length of time on site, pages visited etc
If your web site is selling - maybe have a chat feature where some one asks if they can help - I have seen this a few times now and worked OK for me. all comes down to price and scale

I will move to web design may be a better forum for this type of question

#3 ·
Hi Etaf

I think I am looking for the impossible. As it is probably due to data protection of some kind. But I was hoping that should a company be checking out our website, that we could know what company that is. It would be a very hot sales lead.

However I am interested in your suggestion. Can you suggest a site that I can have a look on to see how the chat feature works. I dont know if our type of business would make it work, it is shipping and transport.
But would love to check it out and see if I can manipulate the idea to come up with something that could suit our business....
Rgds
Recessionbuster

#4 ·
The chat function I have used recently - all UK - has been on largish sites - Vodafone, Epson, lexmark, linksys and last week ticket master I think, one of the large London show ticket office http://www.londontheatredirect.com/event/9/Lion-King--The.aspx - I think its a great facility - other may not - You have the option to click on chat - but on some sites it pops up and asked if it could help me.
I looked into this area of Help for O2 back in 2006 and it was part of the callcentre suites available to link with website..

#6 ·
#7 ·
Hi Etaf
Thats really good information. I have not been aware of such packages. I was going with the idea that you could set up a blog but this is much more advanced. I need to take a good look over them all as am very new to this whole area.
Thanks for that, It is something that I can definitely use. Just need to educate myself a little. The more interaction on the site the better obviously so this could certainly lead us in that direction to encourage the user to do just that!!!
Thanks
Recessionbuster

#9 ·
Hi Little Pheonix
I think that it does show a good bit of details regarding location, not sure if shows IP address, but I think I was being ambitious in the hope that you could buy a report detailing if certain companies were viewing the site.

So on the advice of Etaf, I think I will trying to go down the road of more interaction on the site. Would be grateful of any ideas that would encourage this, as so far site is more informative than interactive.
Thnks
R

#10 ·
The Help I was looking into in 2006 consisted of the following

The areas under review
- FAQs
- Guided FAQs
- Context-Sensitive Help
- Search
- Virtual Assistants
- Live Chat
- Forums
- Co Browse
- Online Demos

I have noticed a lot more use of virtual assistants, and guided search - an example I cam across recently, was "ask Iris" on the toshiba site http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/home.jsp

I can find the virtual assistant example I used the other day - despite looking through history
I'll bookmark this post and when I come across examples post back here.

RE IP address, when I worked A large american company my IP would be the US - even though I was in the UK - so IP may not help you - even logging into google would take me to a US context search

#12 ·
I wish I had spoken to you before I spoke to our website designer. These sites are really very good. It is very hard for the business we are in to make a site so interesting. I am very keen to learn as I am administrator for the site and will be in charge of updating and maintenance. It is key to get further than just checking the site for just information and at this moment, that is only where we are at. I have alot of studying to do on the information you have given me.
I am also checking out monthly newsletters and subscriptions by user to these will hopefully give us contact details. I am hoping this would not be too difficult, but I am interested in learning how to do it.

#13 ·
I am also checking out monthly newsletters and subscriptions by user to these will hopefully give us contact details. I am hoping this would not be too difficult, but I am interested in learning how to do it.
make sure you comply with any data protection requirements, I'm no expert here, but I know when we where working on access and registration, this took a reasonable amount of time to ensure requirements/legal/standards where adopted.

#16 ·
That looks good but seems a little hard to find. I might try and use the idea and bring to the forefront a little. Simplify the website and try to bring the focus to getting in contact with us.
I really like the virtual assistant idea and might go with something like this. Because we could advise companies on alot in the shipping business. This could be a real goer for us.
We are having another problem now with our web designer customer and think that we have been taken for a ride. Really concerned as alot of our bookings are done via email. The person setting up our website turns out not to have a notion and advised us to change our IP host, and to changeover our email also. She has really messed us around and now after a month of slow emails (You might see in my previous post about the problems with the changeover) she has us on google mail instead of the company we used for our website hosting (who she told us originally we would be using). I dont know why she has done this and am really concerned that she may be trying to pull a fast one. Anyway bottom line is can you advise the proper steps involved in changing over mail hosting with minimum delay and problems. I just want someone to clearly outline the right procedure as this is new territory and in over my head. Really angry that this person has messed us around so much as it is impeding on the business in this day and age is the last thing that we need.
Really hope you can help!!! Would greatly appreciate it.... Thnks

#17 ·
wow - that sounds unfortunate ..
I'm not an expert at webhosting - I can close this post and you can start fresh one with the question, maybe the better way to go...let me know when you have started a new post
with a more appropriate title ....

The small scale work I used to do, involved two methods
1) Web Hosting - this used a company which hosted the site, files, images etc , and you can purchased the domain from them at the same time, along with emails etc , the domain information would then be assigned to the companies webservers - this can take 2-3 days for the domain to be recognised by all the domain name servers So when you type in www.mydomainname.co.uk - it will use the DNS domain name servers - look up the IP address and be pointed to the company servers, which then point to your files and open your webpage.
1a)Web Hosting companies are also transfer domain names from other companies - so changing hosting, should nto be a problem
1b) I assume your company owns the domain names as is the admin - sites like http://whois.domaintools.com/ will lookup the domain and tell you who owns it
Nominet is the UK based domain names http://www.nic.uk/ and they often send out the reminders for re-registration of your domain name -
2) The next method - is to use free webspace, most broadband supplies in the UK also offer 100MB of webspace that you can copy your web files to - that will be called something like www.ntl.co.uk/user/my_username
Now that does not look great as a domain - so you can get webforwarding sites where you buy the domain name and then forward to the free address - so www.mydomainname.co.uk - will then forward to www.ntl.co.uk/user/my_username and it looks like its the domain - they also offer email address , www.123-reg.co.uk and www.freeparking.co.uk are examples of this
With Google sites - making it very easy to create a website of your own using templates https://www.google.com/accounts/Ser...google.com/&service=jotspot&passive=true&ul=1
you choose a name and the website address is something like https://sites.google.com/site/etafwsw/ (this is one I just made) and you can then use a domain name and one of the forwarding sites, you can point to it like www.kbwc.co.uk - NOT quite the same site - but something a friend is playing with -

Most webhosting will have all sorts of monthly packages, which will include x free email address with your domain name , so you can setup employees with there own email address
It will have all sorts of scripts that can be run, so you can have enquiry forms, databases like mysql etc

Hope that helps a little - as I say, I really am not an expert here, i dabbled in the UK for a few years, with this starting about 1998 - and stopped 2002/3 ish time scale,

so create another post in the web design forum, and title something about how easy and what are the pitfalls for changing hosting company and you should get a lot more upto date advice

#18 ·
That looks good but seems a little hard to find
I was just looking at the details on the BT website when a box popped up - i didn't have to find , just browsing and it popped up - and asked something like, can I help you - just a small pop-up which when you click on - opens the chat to the service centre ..

#19 ·
Yeah, I will post the problem under new category. Honestly, I wish people would just stick to what they know. I am not an expert by a mile, but have an interest in IT. I would have looked up to someone like this girl who I thought was an expert, but as it turns out, the simple logical stuff that is clear from our experience, that would have saved us so many problems, she should have carried out. We ended up sorting out the mess ourselves. Unfortunately this is a new problem now but we will get there, but its is disgraceful that people use trust you have in them and just for the sake of been seen as brilliant risk your business.
I will close this problem as being solved Etaf. I very much appreciate all of your ideas and advice. I will take them all and research them. Off on hols tomorrow so will forget our troubles for a couple of weeks.. We will get by until then Im sure...
In the meantime take care...
Kind regards
R...

#20 ·
Hello everyone,

I'm Victor from OnlineChatCenters, which etaf mentioned in his post. :up:

I noticed a visitor through our live chat monitoring software that came to our site from this thread, so just wanted to extend a thank you for mentioning us and offer a 10% discount code for any purchase made on our site.

The discount code is : TSGUY10 (expires June 30, 2010)

If anyone has any questions about the services we offer, please let me know..I'll check the site every other day :)

thanks,
Victor

Motava Corporation & OnlineChatCenters

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.