1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New widescreen monitor - desktop won't fit

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by moorhen, Nov 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. moorhen

moorhen Thread Starter

Hi all,

I've just received a new Cibox 19" widescreen monitor with a very minimal instruction leaflet. The main problem is that I can't make the desktop expand to fit the screen. The monitor itself only seems to have some click buttons at the back which enable volume up & down and 'auto adjust' which is supposed to optimise viewing in some way, but I can't find any other control which could make the desktop bigger or change its placing as I have with older CRT monitors. I have tried altering the resolution but makes no difference. I've tried it with two computers, one working on XP Home and one on Windows 98SE. Have also looked in the device manager and nothing untoward to report there, nor any obvious way to alter anything. Any suggestions, anyone? I might otherwise decide to return it :(

Thanks
    moorhen

2. JayWicked

JayWicked

It happened to me once. I fixed it by messing with something in Display. Not sure if it work for you...

Go to where you change resolution. Click on Advanced. General. Try messing around with the PPP Parameters.

It worked with me, not sure if it will work for you. If not well, wait for another person to reply.

3. wtxcowboy

wtxcowboy

right click desktop & choose properties. then settings. u need 2 set ur ratio 2 1440x900 4 optimal viewing. might need 2 update ur graphics driver :)

4. Slythe

Slythe

hey i had the same problem with my 22 inch wide...
    what you MUST ALWAYS DO with widescreens is install the CD they give you (I know i also thought it was more useless than anything^_^)
    restart
    it adds the correct resolutions to your display menu when you go to display properties
    either that or download the newest nvidia/ ati drivers and look under advanced properties and you'll see a 'custom resolution' tab... set it to the above-mentioned ratio....

5. moorhen

moorhen Thread Starter

Thanks chaps, I will try these things and see what happens. :)

6. Slythe

Slythe

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/648861

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice