1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved New win10 PC can't get documents folder set to local folder

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by rarodrig, Jan 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rarodrig

rarodrig Thread Starter

Moving some docs from old pc to new win10 via stick. I wanted those files in the local doc folder not MSOne Drive.

I just assumed that "documents" under THIS PC was my local documents. But it points to one drive. When I tired to reset it to default. See attach pictures.

While I tried to reset it, multiple "copies" of "documents" showed for a little while. See Pic

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  2. rarodrig

rarodrig Thread Starter

3. davehc

davehc Retired Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    The other thread was closed.

But, you are trying to save to the Libraries folder.
    The correct Documents folder, as mentioned in the closed thread, is
    C:\Users\username\Documents

4. rarodrig

rarodrig Thread Starter

I know what the correct folder is and where it is located.

It appears that the Win10 default is all photos & docs are saved to One Drive ( and you get a few extra Gbs of One Drive storage) and/or if I had a choice to Op-Out I missed it.

I reconfigured ONE DRIVE settings.
    1. right click on OD icon in notifications.
    2.select acct: choose folders to sync, unclick All files and folders
    3.Autosave: Switchwd to This PC for docs and pics.

Seems to work but haven't loaded any files from thumbdrive yet.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    No that's not the default at all. The default is the local documents folder. What you are seeing is a documents folder in OneDrive, but you do not have to use that and it is not the default save location. The setting you changed in OneDrive only applies to the OneDrive folder and all folders within, it does not apply to the local My Documents which is never sync'd by default. The rest of screenshots indicate you trying to move folders or creating copies of libraries, you'll probably want to remove those copies from the libraries.

The easiest way to remove the confusion is to add the user folder to the desktop and then you can see the local documents folder. Right click on the Desktop and choose Personalize, then go to Themes then click Desktop Icon Settings and check the box to add User's Files, click Ok. When you open that folder on your desktop it will show you the local Documents folder. You will also see the separate OneDrive folder there too.

To clean up your document duplicates that you created in your Libraries right click and choose Remove from Library. The OneDrive folder's are also included in their corresponding Libraries so you can remove those if you never plan on using them.

FYI. OneDrive is a good free backup storage lcoation that you may want to take advantage of.

6. rarodrig

rarodrig Thread Starter

Things are not right.
    Here's snip with the user's folder (just created per your instructions) on the right with the documents folder pointing to One Drive, not my local docs folder.

edit
    *** I just noticed that there is no pictures folder under my user. Shouldn't there be one? ***

The quick access on the left shows that I have been accessing the local folder, but by manually navigating there from C:\users\me\documents

I'm not clear about the clean up yo're suggesting.
    I have deleted files from One Drive that I didn't want there and copied the files I wanted into my local docs folder.
    Are there any extra libraries or files I may have created? How would I find them?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  7. elmootje3

elmootje3

hello, I regognize these things. What I would say is: save your stuff under "library" and NOT under "this pc".

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Your screenshot shows a Picture folder under This PC in the Navigation bar, you can right click it and get the Properties to see it's Location.

9. rarodrig

rarodrig Thread Starter

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    In your Users folder where your Documents, Music, Favorites, etc folders are create a folder called Pictures. The on the Location tab select Move and pick that folder.

11. rarodrig

rarodrig Thread Starter

Is it possible that I a virus or something? see attached. I did NOT click YES....

Also had a suggestion to delete a couple of entries in my register:
    {0DDD015D-B06C-45D58C4C-F59713854639}
    and

{F42EE2D3-909F-4907-8871-4C22FC0BF756}.

I'm hesitant to mod the register. What do you think?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    There's no reason to delete those.

Well there's something not right there. Seems you already have the Pictures folder there but by a different name or there is some sort of corruption there. Merge then and see what happens. Give it a reboot after too.

13. rarodrig

rarodrig Thread Starter

Merged them and the new pictures folder I created disappeared.

Also, at some point during the setup, I changed the name of the laptop. I don't see how that would be an issue, but full disclosure.

Update, I just noticed that now ONE DRIVE o has a Documents folder. The Pictures and Music (?) are missing.

14. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It's OK that OneDrive has folders, you don't have to use them. The others were moved and when you move them back out they disappear, that's also OK.

Enable Show Hidden Files and System Files: http://www.isunshare.com/windows-10/show-hidden-files-and-folders-in-windows-10.html

In your search type %userprofile%\pictures and it should open the Pictures folder. Then delete the desktop.ini file that is in that folder.

15. rarodrig

rarodrig Thread Starter

Didn't get anything when I searched for %userprofile%\pictures.

Also I tried again to create a Pictures folder in the Users folder you had me create on my desktop (C:\Users\me) and captured the message. Interesting.

Attached Files:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1164698

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice