1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Win7 Laptop, Previously used Linksys router, intermittent loss of connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by AngstyG, Sep 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AngstyG

AngstyG Thread Starter

God, I loathe networking. I know my way around, but I'm going to front. I have no idea what's going on here.

Some specs:
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium , 64 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II Dual-Core M300, AMD64 Family 16 Model 6 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 2814 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 , 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 293143 MB, Free - 164790 MB;
    Motherboard: Acer , JV71TR , Rev , LXPJD020190041ADB22000
    Antivirus: None
    The router is a Linksys BEFSR41. The only other machine we have connected to our router is an Xbox360. All wired connections.

I recently upgraded to an Acer Aspire 7540-1408 laptop w/ Windows 7 Home from an old, decrepit XP desktop, which worked perfectly fine with this router and the Xbox360.

Get the laptop (brand new), connect it, start it up, and Xbox-live loses connection. Basically, every time the laptop connects, the Xbox disconnects. So whenever the hubby is gaming, I can't start my laptop, as it will boot him. We have...er...accomodated this issue, but other issues have made themselves known.

I experience intermittent disconnections from the network. I can find no rhyme or reason to them. Sometimes they won't happen for days, and other times, it'll happen every minute. It only flickers, and it will connect right back to the network (usually). But when it reconnects, the Xbox-live disconnects, and... well, you see my issue. (No one wants the butthurt rage of a Gears of War gamer just barely robbed of victory because of my stupid laptop.)

Here's what my logs say, in chronological order:

Code:
    Log Name:      System
    Source:        BROWSER
    Date:          9/18/2010 5:31:59 PM
    Event ID:      8033
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Information
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      Sam-PC
    Description:
    The browser has forced an election on network \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{AF88FF8A-BC48-4BA2-914B-4B3DA1BE4440} because a master browser was stopped.
    Code:
    Source:        k57nd60a
    Date:          9/18/2010 5:31:59 PM
    Event ID:      4
    Level:         Warning
    Description:
    Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet: The network link is down.  Check to make sure the network cable is properly connected.
    Code:
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-SharedAccess_NAT
    Date:          9/18/2010 5:32:01 PM
    Event ID:      31004
    Level:         Error
    Description:
    The DNS proxy agent was unable to allocate 0 bytes of memory. This may indicate that the system is low on virtual memory, or that the memory manager has encountered an internal error.
    Code:
    Source:        Service Control Manager
    Date:          9/18/2010 5:32:00 PM
    Event ID:      7042
    User:          SYSTEM
    Description:
    The TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service was successfully sent a stop control.

The reason specified was: 0x40030011 [Operating System: Network Connectivity (Planned)]

Comment: None
    Code:
    Source:        Service Control Manager
    Date:          9/18/2010 5:32:00 PM
    Event ID:      7036
    Description:
    The TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service entered the stopped state.
    Code:
    Date:          9/18/2010 5:32:01 PM
    Event ID:      9
    Description:
    Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet: Network controller configured for 100Mb full-duplex link.
    We've tried various things over the months to force harmony on this network. I can't possibly list everything, but I have tried updating drivers, reconfiguring the router, setting it to factory defaults, swapping out cords, etc etc. Since this setup worked with both my XP and Vista systems, I'm left pointing a finger at... well... my stupid laptop.

Any thoughts? Help and/or advice is greatly appreciated. Greatly. Enormously!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    How about a guess? The gigabit NIC is having trouble auto-syncing a speed with the router.

In Device Manager right click on the ethernet - Properties - Advanced - for the "Speed & duplex" setting try 100 Mbps full duplex. If that doesn't work try 10 Mbps full duplex. If still no good try those same speeds with half duplex.

3. AngstyG

AngstyG Thread Starter

No, all of those settings made it impossible to detect the network at all. :-/

I can recreate this issue (I think it's stemming from the same thing) if I restart my laptop. The connection will flicker thrice, in an appx. 1 minute loop, then all will be fine.

In the logs, it seems to usually begin with this:

The browser has forced an election on network \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{AF88FF8A-BC48-4BA2-914B-4B3DA1BE4440} because a master browser was stopped.
    Thanks for the advice! If you have any other suggestions, I'm eager to try out anything.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I don't know what that means, but at least one of those should have worked at least as well as the auto setting. :(

Try a new cable. If you don't have one handy try switching the cable end to end to see if anything changes. Gigabit uses all 8 wires while 10 and 100 Mbps ethernet use only 4; so it is possible to have a cable that works great with older NICs but fails with gigabit.

5. AngstyG

AngstyG Thread Starter

Sorry, with those settings, my computer can't recognize the network, so it defaults to an "Unidentified Network" with no internet connection.

I've managed, with some disabling and riggamarro, to widdle down my logs to find the remaining two culprits.

Code:
    Date:          9/18/2010 10:56:31 PM
    Event ID:      4
    Level:         Warning
    Description:
    Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet: The network link is down.  Check to make sure the network cable is properly connected.
    And then once it does the next, it's all gravy:

Code:
    Date:          9/18/2010 10:56:33 PM
    Event ID:      9
    Description:
    Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet: Network controller configured for 100Mb full-duplex link.
    As I say, I can duplicate this error on startup. Everything will be working dandy once window loads, but the second I go to access anything on the internet, BAM. It goes out for (according to the logs) 2 seconds. Comes right back up, but... yeah, still. Don't understand what's doing it!

We've tried switching it out with every cable we own (which, coming from PC parts hoarders, is a lot), and still no joy.

I'm praying there isn't something afoot with my NIC. It's a new laptop, but I was one of those morons who didn't splurge on extra warranty. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the device, with no luck.

Any other ideas?

Also, you're pretty awesome for helping me. XD Thanks a bunch!

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Make sure you have the latest ethernet driver from Acer's web site. With wireless this would have been my first suggestion, but ethernet drivers are almost never a problem.

Try a connection directly to the modem. Remember to power cycle (unplug for 30 seconds) the modem when switching the device connected to it.

If it works OK connected to the modem then make sure you have the latest firmware upgrade for the router and then reset the router to factory default settings and reconfigure it.

7. AngstyG

AngstyG Thread Starter

So, i figure I just killed my router for good. I upgraded the firmware, and now my laptop won't recognize the router whatsoever. And since I only have one computer, and it can't access the router, there's no possible way for me to downgrade back to the old firmware.

FML.

So... guess I need to invest in a new router, eh? Any suggestions as to proven Windows 7 wired router compatibility?

Thanks.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Most any, especially recently released models, router should be fine. I'd stick with brand names such as D-Link, Netgear, ZyXEL and TrendNet. Personally I don't think that Linksys is worth the price premium usually demanded; obviously others disagree. You may find that a wireless router is less expensive than an equivalent wired only (because of volume); the wireless ones have 4 LAN ports so you can buy one and then disable (turn off) the wireless radio.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/950850

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice