1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Win98 install, now can't find CDrom

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tack8, Mar 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tack8

tack8 Thread Starter

Just bought a used Dell P233 Optiplex. Came without OS.I initially used fdisk to partition drive and then formatted C: I installed Win98 with startup disk and cdrom support. Now I cannot use the CDRom. I only have an a: and c: drive present. I've tried using Device manager to no avail. It is an NEC 1800a CDRom. When I try to reinstall the drivers, the list does not have NEC as a manufacturer. I've physically removed and reinstalled the CDRom. I've tried the CDR in another machine and it works. I've deleted all reference to the CDR in device manager and tried to reinstall it. Nothing.

I also have plenty of yellow warning signs on my device manager for all sorts of things: primary IDE controller, secondary IDE controller, sound controllers etc. WHen I try to find the drivers for them, it goes looking for the windows CD in my c: drive (which is obviously the hard drive).

I even started from scratch, formatted c: reinstalled win98, still same problem. It seems to have no problem using the CDR when I install Win98 from it?

Where did I go wrong? Do I need to download a driver for the CDR?

2. Nick Scott

Nick Scott

When you start up the installation, do you boot from a floppy? If so I would xcopy all of the Windows cabs to a folder on the hard drive and then reinstall from there. When Windows restarts and you have hardware problems you can then use the Windows cabs on the hard drive to find the files that you need, without recourse to the Cd-ROM drive.

One point. If when you install Windows so many things don't PnP properly, it may be that your version of Windows is too old for this machine. If you're using W98 First edition you may find that you get better results from second edition in terms of Windows detecting and setting up your hardware during installation, rather than having to go back and do it all manually afterwards.

It may be that too many things like IDe controllers are not functioning properly to allow the Cd drive to be detected by Windows. They are not functioning because they are newer than the version fo Windows that you are installing, so don't appear in its driver information database. Without that they can't PnP.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/73016

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice