1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved New Windows 10 Machine - McAfee Loaded On It

Discussion in 'General Security' started by patmac, Feb 7, 2017.

Advertisement
  1. patmac

patmac Thread Starter

We recently purchased a Lenovo 300.
    It has a McAfee security suite on it which I want to delete ( have already discussed the pros and cons of Windows 10 Windows Defender with some high ranking officials in here ).
    Is this just going to be an uninstall from Programs? Or is there a tool needed to get rid of it completely?
    As I've done with another Windows 10 machine ( besides having a limited user account for internet facing activities ) I run stand alone versions of SuperAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes every two or three weeks.
    Thank for your time.

2. Sponsor

3. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

uninstall as normal and then use the removal tool
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    If you are running the trial version of McAfee and have not paid for a subscription then you will need to uninstall the program and run the removal tool

Mcafee Removal Tool
    I would recommend that you restart the PC and run the removal tool for a second time or even a third time - I have found instances where the removal tool needs to be run twice to fully remove all traces of Mcafee from the PC

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS101331

--------------------------------------------------------------

4. patmac

patmac Thread Starter

Thanks. I will have to check back in a few days. I'm not going to uninstall the trial version until after my father-in-law finishes his taxes on that machine. We have 27 days(for the trial), and I don't want ( anticipate ) anything going wrong with the uninstall, but just in case, I'll wait. McAfee appears to be active so he has some protection. Windows Defender is turned off, will turn on after the uninstall of McAfee.

5. patmac

patmac Thread Starter

I'm not on the machine I'm going to uninstall McAfee from right now, but I followed the link you provided in Post#2. I thought it would be a good idea to print out their step by step instructions ( I've used removal tools before, but just in case ) before starting. I get to a point on their web site where it asks if it's the McAfee Security Suite or Standalone program(for removal instructions), and now I'm not sure.
    Will it be pretty evident which it is? Thanks.

6. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

uninstall from control panel
    now run the tool,i do this on all new pcs that come with mcafee, unless the owner wants mcafee

7. isaccasi

isaccasi

Have you considered what AV you want on the machine after you have uninstalled McAfee.
    I have a couple of suggestions:Kaspersky or Bitdefender.;) There is off course a lot of solutions but these 2 have a speciel place in my heart.(y)

8. patmac

patmac Thread Starter

Uninstalled McAfee from "Uninstall Programs", successfully. Then ran the removal tool, said it was successful. The system has been restarted a few times since. Where should I look for remnants of the program? Also, after McAfee was gone, Windows Defender kicked on, and said I was potentially unprotected and run a scan, which I did, a full scan. I was a little concerned because it was a new machine so I thought ( incorrectly ), even a full scan would be pretty fast....not two hours! Is this because the OS is so big? One other thing, if you will. I downloaded and installed SuperAntiSpyware free edition with no problem ( to run as a standalone on demand ). I then tried to find MalwarebytesAntiMalware free edition and I really couldn't tell the difference between the free edition and a free trial. Am I missing something? I only have MalwareBytes on a Windows 7 machine so I didn't bother checking the versions etc...Is there a link on TSG for the free version of MalwareBytes?
    Thanks again for your time.

9. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

The removal tool, should have removed any remnants
    Depends on a number of factors - but a full scan will take a while
    The program when installed will run as a free trial, unless you note the option to decline the free trail
    you can go into the malwarebytes control panel and End Free Trial - at the bottom of the dialogue box.
    if you scroll down this page
    https://www.malwarebytes.com/premium/
    you will see a link to download the free version , But it will add a trail of the full version , unless during the installation you say no

10. patmac

patmac Thread Starter

Thank you etaf, all went as you stated, but one more question please.
    This MalwareBytes looks a lot different than the one on my Windows 7 machine. Is that because of differences in the OSs, or the one on my WIN7 machine just hasn't ( usually does ) let's me know about updates being out of date and or new program versions...
    Under About on my WIN7 machine it says" Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.2.1.1043, Build date: 3/10/2016 at 5:06PM. Another nagging thing is, down by the version number it says "www.malwarebytes.org", not dot com, like where I got the download for the Win10 machine. Am I over thinking this? Thanks.

11. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

W7 version
    Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.2.1.1043 Build 3/10/2016 22:06
    .org is correct, if you click on the link, it just automatically redirects to a .com site anyway

The w10 interface is a lot different looking

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1184956