1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Windows 7 PC- How do I change READ ONLY file status?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by bj nick, Sep 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

I have a brand new custom-built PC, and I get the READ ONLY attribute on most files I open; that is, it I get the message "the file is read only; you can open it but must save with a new name," etc. I did a search on Tech Guy for similar issues but none completely matched mine, though after looking on the Net, I see it's a commom problem. What is the best way to get around this?

2. Soundy

Soundy

Have you tried any of the other suggestions for dealing with Read Only files?

3. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

I tried doing the attribute change in START/RUN, but I'm shaky on doing DOS commands and probably didn't do it right. In any event, it failed. The other suggestions didn't seem to apply; the people were in a server environment or something else and I don't want to get in there and start making changes when it's something I am not confident about.

4. Soundy

Soundy

The easy way to check a file's attribute is by right-clicking it and going to Properties - you'll see the Attributes listed at the bottom of the General tab. Un-check Read Only and hit Apply. You can also select multiple files to do this to all at once, or you can do it to a folder to affect everything within that folder.

If none of that works, it may be a permissions issue (especially if the files are being imported from another Win2K/XP/Vista system).

5. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

Hi, thanks for your response. Yes, I know how to check the attributes in properties and change the setting, but since it seems to be a global issue, my thinking is how am I going to change all of the files? I can't select thousands of files......??? I was thinking this is something I should try to accomplish globally.....is there a way to globally select and change all those file attributes?

6. Soundy

Soundy

But this will take a long time, no matter how you do it, so TRY it first on a few files or a smaller folder, to confirm whether or not this is actually the "fix". It could also be a permissions or ownership issue, but those get more complicated, so before going there, we should eliminate the simple fix first.

7. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

HI, I know that I can DO IT TO A FOLDER TO AFFECT EVERYTHING WITHIN THAT FOLDER, but I have dozens of folders....anyway, when I try to change the attribute on a single file or folder, it says I need adminstrator permission (this is my own personal home pc and no one else uses it), and when I try to get in there and change it so that me the user can do anything I want, it doesn't hold. That is, I'll change "deny" to "allow" on everything but when I open the folder again it has defaulted back. It's really confusing in there for someone who doesn't know the permissions /settings game, and I sure don't.

Anything I can do to just give myself the full permission without a major operation...?

8. Soundy

Soundy

So go to the root of the drive (C:\), Ctrl-click to select all the folders, then right-click -> Properties -> un-check Read Only -> Apply. That will affect everything on the drive. How many dozens can there be on the root of C:?

You could have said that from the very beginning and saved a lot of time... that's why the first thing I asked was what you'd already tried.

Making the changes isn't a major operation. It WILL take significant time for it to complete if you need to do it to all the files on the drive.

Disclaimer: this is based on Win7 Enterprise; I don't know how much of this advice will apply to other versions.

To take over permissions on a folder, right-click it, go Properties, go to the Security tab, click the Advanced button, then go to the Owner tab. You'll probably see "Current owner" listed as someone other than your account... click Edit, then under Change Owner To, select your account name. Check the "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects" as well, and click Apply.

Note: you can also change ownership on the entire drive by going to the Properties for the drive object itself. If you do this to the system drive, however, I make no guarantees on what effect this may have on the operation of the system - if your owner is an Administrator, in theory it shouldn't affect anything, but the way Microsoft does things, who knows?

You're probably better off to apply this information only to the folder containing the files you want to edit - My Documents, or whatever.

Once again, this WILL take substantial time, especially if you're doing it to the whole drive... it may be something you want to initiate before going to bed or making dinner.

9. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

Hi, thanks, and yeah, I should have mentioned the permissions issue upfront; sorry. I was also sending a similar message to the guy who built the computer and I did say that to him but forgot in my tech guy message. Anyway.....very complete info except where is the "root of the C drive?"

If it's a big job as you say I'll get to it tomorrow, and THANKS for your help.

10. Soundy

Soundy

Open My Computer... double-click the C: drive. You'll see folders like Users, Program Files, Windows, etc. This is the "root" that you're looking at.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/950894

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice