1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New wireless connection, laptop works, desktop doesn't

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Signal50, Jul 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Signal50

Signal50 Thread Starter

Hi! I hope I'm in the right forum. We've recently had RidgeviewTel Wireless Internet service installed in our home (have only had dial-up before). They ran the cable from the rooftop antenna to the house, and then hooked it to a wireless modem. Then from the modem, they ran a DSL cable to the e-machine T6524 desktop with Windows XP. The installer guys did NOT install any software on the desktop along with the modem installation. Just as is, that whole system ran fine. Then, this weekend, we purchased and installed a NetGear Wireless G Router to the kaboodle, so that my new Gateway laptop with Windows Vista could access the wireless internet. Working with a NetGear rep on the telephone to walk us through the process, we connected the desktop, via DSL cable, to the router, and the router to the wireless modem (via DSL cable). Again, we didn't install any software. Everything worked okay for a couple days, then the desktop couldn't connect to the internet, while the remote laptop could. Neither e-machines nor netgear could help us solve the problem. I reviewed a few forums on this site (GREAT SITE) and saw a couple times where it was suggested to turn off any firewalls. While I was typing this message, my husband deleted all of Norton off his desktop, and he could connect to the internet. So, after all that, my questions have actually changed. And they are these: 1) why would he have been able to connect to the internet for a few days, then not all of a sudden, if the firewall and anti-virus software had been there the whole time? 2) Is it just the firewall application that causes a problem, or all of the anti-virus and protective software that causes an issue? 3) Are we okay with not having a firewall in place? 4) Are we okay with not having any virus protection in place, or should we at least turn on the anti-virus protection? 4) If we turn on the anti-virus, but not the firewall, will we have internet connect probs again? 5) If we have no virus protection software on the desktop, and the laptop is network to the desktop and wireless via the router, is my laptop in jeopardy? 6) Am I overthinking it all, and should I just be glad the computer gods got my husband back online again??? Thank you all for reading my issue/questions.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    A DSL cable is a telephone cable; I'm sure you meant ethernet cable from modem to router and from router to computer. Might save some confusion in the future.

Anti-virus protection is a necessity.

With a router, anti-virus, anti-spyware and some caution about what links you click on you need no 3rd party firewall. The Windows XP SP2 and Vista firewalls also give reasonable protection w/o the complexities of the 3rd party firewalls.

Some of those firewalls seem to get reconfigured (and start blocking stuff they didn't before) when they are updated (usually automatically). If you want to use it just configure it again to allow LAN access or whatever is needed. They don't update all that often.

If I missed any of your questions, please try smaller paragraphs next time. :)

3. Signal50

Signal50 Thread Starter

Thank you! I'll hit the husband over the head with a frying pan and make him put back anti-virus and anti-spyware, although the idiot/great guy seems to be anti any anti-stuff. And thanks for the terminology heads up, too, glad you got the gist of my problem anyway.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/591507

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice