1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

new wirless making high pitched sound only i can hear??!!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Krisztina, Mar 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Krisztina

Krisztina Thread Starter

i just had geek squad set up my netgear g router (wgr614v9) because i cannot do that sort of thing. seriously :eek:

so im walking around and this high pitched sound catches my ear. i seem to be the only one hearing it. the only thing i can compare it to is a specific sound that i used to hear when i was a kid whenever i walked through the jewelry dept at macys. it's giving me a headache!! before i call them (netgear, bestbuy or geek squad) are there things i should try??? like real simple things....... :confused:

thanks!

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I would suspect that the sound is the switching regulator in the power brick, that would be my top suspect. I doubt there is anything in the router itself that's making a high pitched sound.

3. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    switch it off and see if the sound stops - at least make sure it is the router before you call them

4. scottdeagan

scottdeagan

Also try turning off the wireless from the router's admin page (not the router - just the wireless).

As a long term solution you could simply wait until you're older and can't hear such frequencies :) (just kidding!!).

5. Krisztina

Krisztina Thread Starter

thanks everyone!

ok seems to be the "power brick" and not the router itself according to netgear. does anyone know if this is common? is this a defect or do i just have too much going (electromagnetic interference) on in the room like tv, surround, cordless, cell phone, pc, etc?

i even plugged it into my monster power surge protector but am still hearing it and it sucks!!!!! :mad:

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    ask for a replacement

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It's a defect, the transformer is singing. This occasionally happens, get another P/S from Netgear.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!