1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New X1950Pro performance issues.

Discussion in 'Games' started by Owyn, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Owyn

Owyn Thread Starter

Hello, first post here. This problem is bugging the hell out of me - it's brought to the edge - so i thought i'd give you lot a try with it, thanks.

Spec: AMD 64 X2 4200+, 1GB RAM, X1950Pro, XP Home

I re-formatted about a fortnight ago and bought a new X1950Pro to replace my 6800GS, just to tide me over until i get a new system come Christmas; if the missus lets me. ¬_¬
    But it just seems to be crawling, in games. It's just really not performing as it should. The one's i've tried would be GRAW, and FEAR. I bought them so i could play them with my new card, but i'm getting an appalling framerate in both, it chugs. I'd say it's about 20-25 average but it can go below that; both games are unplayable.

Both are patched up to date.

I have all recent drivers installed and the AMD and Windows Dual-Core optimizer.

I mean, should i be worried? I really don't know what's going on, or what to do. Do i try a DeFrag, because i've installed a few programs over a short space of time, or wouldn't it matter?

I've checked for Spyware and Viruses, too. So it can't be that.

The only thing that i CAN think of is my DVD Firmware, because both run off a disc, and that could be out of date, and as i played COD2 tonight with no problems, then just maybe.

I'd like to give it a try, just so i could lay that factor to rest but i don't know how to do it;

My Drive: SONY DVD RW DW-Q30A

My DVD drive information.

The help page.

I suppose, all i need to know is which instructions to download from the help page, but i don't know.

I'm aware this is a long and boring post but any help is very much appreciated, thankyou.

Thanks, again.

2. staticbyte

staticbyte

Having the same problem with fear, Fps wise its ok but the game stops n starts all the time, same in BF2. this is since i updated to dual core intel 6320. my old system ran FEAR on high settings no problem :(.

bump

3. Nastrodamus

Nastrodamus

Hmmm I have the X1950 Pro but I don't run any of those games....I seem to have no issues in WoW. I have 3 GB of Ram to your 1GB but you said it didn't have this issue before so not sure what happened there. I also have a Dual Core 3800+ not sure on this one. I have XP Pro also instead of home.

4. Owyn

Owyn Thread Starter

**** knows.

All i know, is that it's not performing as it should, way below par.

5. Nastrodamus

Nastrodamus

What kind of PSU you have? Wattage, Amps, all that good stuff?

6. kryptonite1055

kryptonite1055

have you updated the drivers for the video card? it looks like you have updated everything else. those video card drivers can make a big difference.

7. Owyn

Owyn Thread Starter

Video drivers are up to date.

My PSU is 380W. I don't know what make it is, that's all the information i can find. Would 380W be enough?

I could do with some more RAM, tbh.

Thanks.

8. hrPUFFnSTUFF

hrPUFFnSTUFF

more RAM is a MUST these games nearly require two GIG and for that system I would have got a min of 450<480W PSU

9. hrtbob

hrtbob

The requirements for a 256mb sapphire x1950pro with pci-express is a minimum of 450W. I wouldn't have thought that a 380W supply would have the correct plugs for dedicated graphics plug in?

10. tony oh

tony oh

I agree with hrtbob the x1950 pro needs at least 22 amps on the 12v rail and a minimum of 450w psu.

You should open your case and see the information on the side of the power supply.

11. BlooChoo

BlooChoo

yeh ul need at least 450 w...but im pretty sure the psu wouldnt make frame rates low...if it was an issue with the PSU the system would shut down...rather than run slowly...

as you have updated all the drivers to the top spec ones can i jus ask...if the card AGP or PCI e...cos the latest ATI drivers cause al sorts of odd problems for AGP cards...

try running a PCpitstop.com test to see if your hardware is ok...it could be a fualty card....

12. staticbyte

staticbyte

Getting a new psu helped stop my computer from locking up now and again but didnt really do anything to frame rate. I found my problem was something to do with my directx 9. I reinstalled it and everything is ticking over nice now, FEAR still runs shite but i havnt updated it yet and ive heard that the engine it uses is temperamental.

13. BlooChoo

BlooChoo

well the engine maybe a bit unstable but it ran fine on my old pc...im reckoning it would still be worth checkin out the gpu drivers and hardware

14. staticbyte

staticbyte

Have u tried to run the card without pci power cable connected to it. When i had my old psu i found that my computer was more stable without the power cable attached.

just a thought

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590772

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice