New XP install w\ error message help!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

springbrk200

I'm trying to install xp home on my bros comp. he used to have win 2000 pro. I backed everything up and formatted the hard drive. (75 gig ntfs). This worked great. I pulled his hard drive out and put it in my comp (secondary) I then installed xp on it. This went fine, I was even able to boot all the way to xp. The problem comes in when I tried to move the hard drive back to his comp. I could not boot past the compaq screen. I got the error message
"couldn't open drive multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)"
"ntldr: Couldn't open drive multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)"
Here are the steps that I have tried
reformat once again
recopy D:\i386\ntldr c:\, D:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\
I even completely unpartitioned the hard drive, and gave it a new partition, attempting to start fresh.
The fixboot command and the fixmbr command.

As always any and all help is greatly appreciated.

XP (installed on a particular HD) does not move from computer to computer without major problems - many of which are driver issues, and most of the time it just won't work..

You should have installed it on the computer it was meant for...But, having said that you could always try a repair job in the other computer.

springbrk200

I tried the repair job, didn't work. How do I start fresh with a raw hard drive without buying a new hard drive. I tried formatting it multiple times, I tried removing the partion, and repartioning it. no luck. How do I completely erease the hard drive?

springbrk200

I downloaded "dban", I almost wiped the hard drive on the comp that wan't working. I decided just for kicks that I could plug the hard drive into the ide cable that's connecting the cd drives. Surprisingly it worked. I think it was just a bad ide cable.

springbrk200

Who knew that a problem this hard could be solved by a simple $2 ide cable. I hate windows error messages.

springbrk200

Never mind, I was just able to install the second part of xp (booted to xp setup without cd), It finished that just find, then I gave me the same error message when it went to reboot into xp.

springbrk200

never mind again... I had to move the hard drive to the end of the ide cable that was plugging in the cd drives and then I had to move the entire cable to the next slot. I think this might be a jumper issue.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online