New XP, New Outlook, Folders won't transfer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

IndigoRed

I've just done a fresh install of XP after probs with ME (who doesn't have probs with ME???)
I saved all my mail folders from Outlook Express (I have done this before successfully). I had a few extra folders in my mail acct, other than the usual Inbox, outbox, deleted items, etc. When I did the transfer function, only the usual ones show up, not the ones I created. Anyone got any ideas? Oh, I tried putting them in the proper folder manually, but Outlook doesn't see them, I tried that before and Outlook has to "register" them I'm guessing.

Thanks folks!

Try creating the " newfile.dbx " in your account profile then import them .

example would be create a folder named PERSONAL.
This will create a PERSONAL.dbx file.
copy/replace and reopen OE and that should work , but never a guarantee.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!

i just recently had to transfer files from OE in Win 98 to OE in XP. i can't seem to find the cheat sheet i used to transfer files, but they go into a different folder in XP than in 98 and probably ME.

The way to find out where you should be putting them is to make one in XP and find out where OE puts it in XP. You find out by right-clicking on the folder you've made and choosing properties. It will tell you "This folder is stored in the following file:"

Mine, for example, for a folder titled "Hold for PROCESS" is stored at:

C:\Documents and Settings\Grandpa\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{DE82A790-E283-4432-AA71-3326BD4BC003}\Microsoft\Outlook Express\Hold for PROCESS.dbx

A much longer file identifier than when it was in win 98.

I think that if you created the folders needed then you will be able to transfer.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online