1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Year's traditions

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by Topazz, Jan 1, 2002.

Advertisement
  1. Topazz

Topazz Thread Starter

Happy New Year to all. It is early evening on 2 January here in NZ now so New Year celebs are well and truly over.

I just wanted to ask if there is anyone else in the world who follows/followed my mother's tradition of putting out money before New Year's Eve for good luck?

Every year, right up until my parents moved north, she would put out a coin for each of us in the family (including our parents), semi-hidden on a ledge somewhere in the garden, sometime before New Year's Day. Then in the morning of NYD we would all troop outside to collect our coins. We were only allowed to remove our own - if someone was absent, their coin remained until they returned.

My mother believed this would ensure good luck for our future wealth, and do you know, it might have worked! All of us three children have a good comfortable living standard, a bit above average.

I haven't kept up the tradition in my own family and I hope I don't regret it later! Has anyone else done this? My mother is Welsh.

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Hi Topazz...

Sounds like a wonderful tradition.. :)

wished you had posted this in my thread "New Years Resolutions"

you still can... copy it & paste it there :)

3. Dark Star

Dark Star

Topazz,

Happy New Year back at you........

Well now you tell us, I mean thanks and everything I mean it ........but like can I try that now?

Is it like too late this year? Does it work if I just say I just found out about this today, or like are you saying I gotta wait till next year now. Its not that important, I just wanna see if it works is all.:D

DS

4. Dark Star

Dark Star

Savvy,

Are you going for a new record or something?

........as I get one more post I wish you would have......like done this over here type thing. :D

5. Dark Star

Dark Star

Savvy......

How rude of me.......

HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!!!!!!! lol

DS

6. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

LOL... gonna call you rudedoggduck...LOL

No record... its just what my thread is all about too... but thats ok

7. Dark Star

Dark Star

Well I'll be dang if you didn't almost make it to 2000 by today...............LOL

Are you like gonna sleep (what a novel idea) whenever you get to 2000?

............Sorry Topazz, I'm done here now. ;)

DS

8. rstanley

rstanley

hey ds and savvylady, hows it going.

I just woke up!!!!!!

9. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

hi rstanley...

Duck... whats sleep

I do nods & catnaps...LOL

10. Dark Star

Dark Star

Hey guys let's not turn Topazzes Thread into a Ramblin thread now.......we do have the benefit of a chat room now.

11. combsdon

combsdon

dark star,

we were there, where were you???????

12. lisag

lisag

# 48! (oh thats bad!)

I just wanted to say that I hadn't heard of that tradition quite that way before, but I like it.

13. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

I think its a really neat tradition.... I'm going to try to remember it for next yr.
    Provided Im alive

14. hamster

hamster Guest

Yeah I hear about somewhat traditions like that, the waiter at the chinese resturant say on thier chinese new year, they hand out Red Envelopes with money in it and give it to people??????????????

Yikes!! I wanted to ask why but he had to go take care of this drunk azzh#%$ at the other table.

What is up with people handing out money!!!! I know it's good luck or whatever but man!! Just handing out money!!!!

15. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

LOL... probably to get a taxicab home in...LOL

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63818

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice