1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New ZoneAlarm user having problems

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by crispy, Feb 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. crispy

crispy Thread Starter

I have just installed the free version of ZoneAlarm and wondered if any experienced users might know the answers to a couple of questions.

Several times, after connecting to the Internet, 'ViolationDlg' sits above my Taskbar looking very much like a minimized program file. Nothing happens if I left or right click it, and if I double click it, I get 'ZoneAlarm has caused an error in ALERT_ZA.ZAP. ZoneAlarm will now close'.

As I have three computers in a home network, all using their own internal modems, should I install ZoneAlarm on each of them? It's great to have free versions of programs, but the required support is obviously lacking :confused:

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer,
    Chris P

2. bassetman

bassetman Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten

I have no idea what that error means, but, yes I would install ZA on each PC and run it whenever you are online or feeling the need for security on each one.

John

3. TOGG

TOGG

crispy,

Like bassetman I don't actually know what your error message means but I notice the ZAP reference.

A friend of mine went to get the free version and accidentally got the Pro one instead (the free one is quite a way down the page on the website).

Could you have got the Pro version by mistake?. If not, you may have something else running that clashes with ZA or you could just have a bad d/l and might want to think about getting a fresh copy. If you do, take care uninstalling the first version. There are detailed instructions on the zonelabs website.

Also, disable any antivirus software before a reinstall. Someone else may be along soon with some better ideas.

4. crispy

crispy Thread Starter

Thanks John and Togg. The error only comes up if I'm foolish enough to double-click the 'ViolationDlg' sitting above my taskbar. If I leave it alone, it just sits there until I end the task or shut-down. I can understand them not wanting to give TechSupport for a free product, but if there is nowhere to turn to for these things, who on earth is going to pay out money for another version.
    Yes Togg, It's definitely the free version.

All the best
    Chris P

5. TOGG

TOGG

crispy,

Sorry I couldn't be any more help.

If ZA works OK most of the time I assume you'd know if a program on your comp was trying to 'phone home'.

Interestingly enough, if you do a google search on'violation dig' (separating the words) you get loads of interesting info about digging holes in the road in various U S states!!

http://www.wereallydig.com/websets/terms_of_use.htm is a site where these words are in use but I can't see what that could have to do with your firewall. I have never known ZA use the term violation in connection with any other program. Do you have any other security- type programs running?.

PS. A couple of months ago there was a very difficult thread about possible virus/trojan problems on a small home network. I don't think it was ever resolved but it seemed likely that the actual configuration of the network was involved somehow. If you don't get any more helpful responses you might consider posting this again in the Networking forum with full details of the comps and their software and how you have them linked.

6. $teve

$teve

7. suzi

suzi

8. crispy

crispy Thread Starter

Hi Steve, thanks for the contribution.

That was the only mention I could find using Google. The guy with the problem uses Mozilla, but I don't think that's an issue, as I don't :D It seems to be some form of popup warning, but what is the point of having it if you can't get any further information from it.

Chris P

9. crispy

crispy Thread Starter

Thanks again TOGG, it looks like it might be one of those unsolved mysteries.

Chris P

10. crispy

crispy Thread Starter

Thanks Suzi, that certainly looks like a place to go. I wonder why they don't make it clear that they have one. Perhaps I am not paying attention - that happens when you get older :eek:

Chris P

11. TOGG

TOGG

crispy,

Since my last post on this subject I've had a shutdown stalled by having to 'end task' something called 'permission dig'.

I did a find files on that and it turned out to be a MS digital management component of Win 98. Could this be something to do with your mystery?.

12. crispy

crispy Thread Starter

Thanks for the update TOGG, I've almost come to just accept the pop-ups now :(

They seem to appear as a Zone Alarm warning that something is trying to send something to my machine, I can confirm that by checking the logs. I can shut the DLG down using Ctrl-Alt-Del but I'm sure there must be, or should be, another way of closing them, but I just haven't found it yet.

Regards,
    Chris

13. bassetman

If these popups are coming from ZA, go to the alerts tab and check the log alerts to text file vs. Show the alert popup window.

14. crispy

crispy Thread Starter

Thanks bassetman, since my last post I had found the area you mention. I changed the Alert Events from On to Off, and that seems to have solved the problem.

Chris

15. bassetman

Glad to hear! :)

I just notice that in your last post! :cool:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117989

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice