1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Newbee To WebPage Building

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by 1trueshadow, Oct 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 1trueshadow

1trueshadow Thread Starter

<note to moderators: If this thread fits better in "web & email" please move at your discretion>

I am new to the world of webpage building. I can write basic HTML, but nothing realy good to look at. I want to learn how to write the HTML so that my site looks like what I invisioned and not looking like some pics and text glued to a peice of construction paper. (if anyone wants to see what I have made so far vist ProfileOfAShadow. It is my profile I created for MSN Roleplaying. Watch out for the pop-ups, its a free site!!)

I was wondering if anybody out there had some hints, tips, programs or links that will help me out. Thanx for your time

2. moebius

moebius

try programming in asp. use xml and xsl.
    goto www.w3c.org for web guidelines/whitepapers/specifications
    try flash its easy. but its expensive.
    and get a respectable domain for Gods sake.
    www.my.dot.tk

3. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

First you have to make sure you have some browsers to test your code with.

Netscape
    Netscape 4.8
    IE6

IE4 (separate computer/partitoin e.g. win98FE comes with IE4)

Firebird
    Opera
    Mozilla
    (Plus alternate os versions of the above)

Check your pages at http://validator.w3.org

Visit www.w3c.org and read all the specs.

Also at www.w3c.org download the Amaya Browser/Editor. It will help you in the learning process. Don't actually rely on it for developing webpages.

I recommend editPlus for a text editor.

Html kit is another program that will come in handy from time to time.

links

www.htmlgoodies.com
    www.w3schools.com

Hang around in the development forums for this site, my.opera.com, www.hardforum.com and others.

Don't forget google. When you don't know how to do something, you'll have to find out how.

You can check out some examples that I have .

http://home.tbbs.net/shadow/

For opera browser, you will want to modify the opera6.ini file to force standards mode.

Info for that is on this page http://www.opera.com/docs/specs/doctype/

Also for opera, turn off "my link style" for author mode.

Tips
    If you want a link underlined, use CSS
    a:class{text-decoration: underline)

Study other sites. Also, do the best to make your pages compliant.

Use Divs instead of tables.

Turn off wordwrap in your text-editor. If you don't, you can end up with extra spaces between your code.

And Most Importantly, stay away from Front Page and other WYSISYG editors (besides amaya). They don't produce proper code.

I could go on, but that should help.

View source of http://home.tbbs.net/shadow/mod.htm in a text-editor with word wrap off. You will see how I keep things on 1 line. If somethings not all on one line in that source, get a better text editor that supports more columns.

If you can't find any of the programs, use google.

4. 1trueshadow

by WYSISYG editors, do you mean DreamWeaver?

5. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

Yep, if you must use a WYSIWYG editor, then Dreamweaver would be better than most, but it's still going to produce improper bloated code.

Learn to code straight in a text editor. You'll be glad you did.

Oh and use lowercase for your tags and attributes.

<td valign="top'>

not

<TD valign="top">
    or
    <td VALIGN="top">

Make sure your attribute value are in quotes.

When you define a size, make sure it has a unit after it.

border="1px" not border="1"

Use <script type="text/javascript">
    not
    <script lanquage="javascript">

Be careful when using <!-- --> to hide css or scripts from older browsers. If you don't do it just right, Opera may have problems. That's why you put your css in an external file and your javascript in an external file most of time.

6. 1trueshadow

Thanx, you gave me alot of information to sort through. I went to the link you metioned "www.w3schools.com" and am curently refreshing my HTML and learning about CSS, witch I am finding very interesting. I hope to move on to XmL, XsL, Java and VBscript in the next few months.

I am guessing it will be a while before I finish my site, but when I do you are to thank.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170623

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice