1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Newbie at this.....

Discussion in 'Networking' started by EllieBean, Jul 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. EllieBean

EllieBean Thread Starter

I am moving and want to set-up a wireless connection - for my PC and laptop -
    *The connection will be DSL
    *Desktop - Dell Dimension 4600 - XP Home Edition - Intel Pro/100 VE Network Connector
    *Laptop - Dell Lattitude D600 - XP Pro

I am very new to all of this -- I want a wireless connection for the laptop - the desktop could be wired or wireless -- which ever is better to do.

I am assuming I need:
    wireless router
    wireless cards for each computer

As I said I am assuming -- so better than assume.........I will ask you - What do I need?

Also is there a brand you would recommend for these items...

Thanks so much for dealing with a newbie like me! :eek:

Ellie

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Stick with wired on the desktop if it does not matter to you it does not suffer from environmental interferance and suffers from alot less difficulties.

Check your Laptop -http://www.dell.com/downloads/us/products/latit/d600_spec.pdf - from what I read at the dell site your laptop should have wireless already. You check under device manager and network connections to see if there is anything about a wireless adapter.

If your PC stays wired and your laptop already has wireless all you need is a cat 5 cable to connect your PC to the router and a wireless router.

If your Laptop does NOT have a wireless adapter after checking then you also need to add to the above items one PCMCIA or USB Wireless network adapter.

3. EllieBean

EllieBean Thread Starter

Hi... Thanks so much for getting back to me...........

The company where I will get the DSL connection will give/loan me a Comtrend CT-536 Wireless ADSL2+ Router -- from what they tell me -- with this I will be able to keep the desktop wired and make the laptop wireless.... Unfortunately my D600 is not wireless -- I bought this in Feb 2004 and I must have opted not to have wireless... Dumb - I know :rolleyes:

So - it looks to me like all I need is a Wireless network card for my laptop -- I was at buy.com and looked at this one - Linksys Wireless-G Notebook Adapter - Network adapter - WPC54G

I think that is what I need -- Yes?

Thanks again for all your help! :)

Ellie

4. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Yup thats the one. It should work just fine for your scenario

OR if you don't like the card sticking out from a slot you do have a second opttion

This is a little more expensive "fix".

You can take it to a service center and get them to install the integrated wireless that SHOULD come with that unit internally. This will put the wire inside the casing and usually is an add in card that is just not installed.

The differences are minimal though -

Option 1 - Cheap and easy but does add bulk to your laptop.
    Option 2 - More expensive, takes someone with knowledge of opening up laptops but does keep your laptop as a single dedicated unit.

Mind you I am not trying to sway an opinion just stating all the options in case 1 appeals more to you than another.

5. EllieBean

EllieBean Thread Starter

Great!! Yes I have thought about putting it all inside...... But -- I usually get a new computer every 3 years - the warranty ends in Feb 2007 for this one -- I will probably upgrade and make sure I get wireless installed this time!

One more question -- I see some people talking about cordless phones interferring with wireless connections ??

I have a cordless phone -- is this going to cause me any problems??

Thanks so much for all your help!

Ellie

6. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

It can. If your cordless phone is 2.4 ghz and near the channel you have the wireless devices on it can drop your wireless signal when you get calls. (For some reason I never see the wireless routers winning and you staying connected but dropping the person calling you I am not sure why to be honest). You can upgrade to 5.8ghz phones and not have the problem, downgrade to 900mhz phones and not have the problem. Or ensure your channels are far enough apart they don't cause interferance.

When I added wireless I broke out my old 900 mhz phone just cause I didn't want the interferance issues.

7. EllieBean

EllieBean Thread Starter

Ahhh so it is good that I saved my 900 mhz cordless phone!! ;)

Thanks so much for all your help!!

Ellie

8. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

NP let us know if you have any questions when hooking it all up. G/L on the setup and I hope your move goes according to plan and very uneventful. :)

9. EllieBean

EllieBean Thread Starter

OK now the cable company tells me they want an extra $150 to set-up Comtrend CT-536 - with desktop wired and wireless notebook. Notebook has Linksys Wireless G card.

Seems like a lot of dollars to me!

The cable company will come in and set-up the desktop with a Comtrend CT-5071 for no extra charge.

So -- I'm thinking I can purchase Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router with SpeedBooster - WRT54GS - and configure myself.

Well I'm actually not sure how to do that! :confused:

Does the Linksys Wireless Router hook up through the Comtrend CT-5071 -- or does it replace it?

Thanks for any help on this !!

Ellie

10. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

From - http://www.comtrendcorp.com/index.php?module=news&op=show&sn=27

Make sure they have this unit is BRIDGED mode before they leave. Then you should be able to simply put in your router and start working. if you don't and they have it in router mode you have to modify your setup before adding the linksys.

11. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

I would do exactly what your doing have them install their solution then add your own. It will be cheaper.

BTW if they say they CAN'T put it in bridged mode ensure to get the connection information on how to connect and configure this device so you can do it yourself at a later date (after they leave).

12. EllieBean

EllieBean Thread Starter

OK -- this makes sense to me -- which in itself is quite amazing!! :eek:

Thanks so much for all your help!!

Hopefully this will all go smoothly -- smoother than the closing on the house - which was postponed for 10 days! :eek:

Many Thanks!! ;)

Ellie

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/482735

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice