Newbie at Ubuntu

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Joethefairguy

So in my other posts i had My system crash. Phantom010 had suggested to me to use Ubuntu. Now, i am not very familar with it at all. Heck i don't even know the actual pronouciation. i got it installed and all security updates installed. The key-ring thing has got me confused too...
Any help would be EXTREMELY nice! :)

JTFG

leroys1000

Banned
oo-boon-too
New to ubuntu?

The keyring is a password storage and protection application.
It usually ask you to set a default password,then any time you
run something that requires a stored password,you just enter the keyring password
and it will automatically enter the password for that program.
Also stores things like wireless network passwords.

Joethefairguy

Thanks... i will keep those handy for a while...
well, say i have an MP3 Player that has a cd for it, but it only works with windows... What then:)?

Ignore the CD for now. If you plug in the MP3 player to the computer, and start up in linux, is the player detected? Look in Nautilus File Manager. What is the output of: lsusb

leroys1000

Banned
If it is detected and mounted,try running mplayer.
You may be able to handle play lists from there.

Joethefairguy

I don't quiet have mplayer as far as i know, I have what is called Rythum Player...

1002richards

Retired Trusted Advisor
Hi,
In your menu > System > Appearance. Notice the Get more themes online link below the listed themes. If you click it, your browser will take you to Gnome Art page, where you will be able to look for many useful themes.Each theme has a download option. Once downloaded, just follow the guide in the earlier link.

Richard

1002richards

Retired Trusted Advisor
Hi,
I don't use sound themes but from here ( http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/ubuntu-tips-and-tricks.htm#Disable-Change-Login-Sound) I found this guide:

Disable or Change Login Sound Each time when you login to Ubuntu, it plays a login sound. If you don't like to listen to it each time you login, you can easily disable it, or you can even change it to your favorite sound.
To disable the login sound:

1. Go to System > Preferences > Startup Applications.
  2. Under the "Startup Programs" tab, untick "GNOME Login Sound"
  3. Click Close
To change the login sound, tick the above "GNOME Login Sound" if it's unticked, then follow these steps:

1. Press Alt+F2 to bring up "Run Application" window.
  2. Paste gksu nautilus /usr/share/sounds/ubuntu/stereo into the box, click "Run" to open Nautilus in the right folder.
  3. Rename the original file desktop-login.ogg to another such as desktop-login-original.ogg for backup
  4. Copy your sound file in ogg format to the above folder and name the file as desktop-login.ogg
  5. Log out and log back in to listen to the new login sound.
Hope this helps?

Richard

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online