1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Newbie computer building problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by frossy, Feb 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. frossy

frossy Thread Starter

Hello all,

I recently purchased a DFI CA64-TC (socket 370) motherboard and am trying to install it in a new ATX case. I am attempting to mate it to a PIII 1Ghz I yanked out of a Dell OptiPlex GX150 and a new stick of Viking PC133 256mb SDRAM. I also purchased an eVGA e-GeForce MX 4000 video card (PCI version). Whenever I try to start up the machine just to check to see if the BIOS runs and recognizes things, a strange combination of things happen. First, the lights on my monitor, keyboard, and mouse all flash when I first turn on the power like they are supposed to. Then, either nothing shows up on the monitor, a blinking cursor appears in the upper left corner of the monitor, or the monitor shows the energy star compliant logo and says to hit delete to enter setup. The latter has only happened twice out of many tries, and whenever I tried to hit delete, nothing happens. Also, this series of 3 monitor possibilities are in combination with 3 possibilities of beeps. Either a steady continuous beep, one short beep (rarely happens) or nothing. Any one of the 27 or so combinations can and has occurred. I've attempted to take out and reinstall the video card, processor and memory several times. They all seem to be seated in there correctly. Often, it will respond to the power being turned on in a completely different fashion than it just did, even if I haven't
    touched the inside at all. I cannot find any pattern, it just seems to do whatever it wants.

I just read over a recent post by someone that had a similar issue but it was due to grounding. Because neither the case or motherboard came with any instructions to speak of, I think I mounted the motherboard incorrectly in the case the first time. I used the little brass spacers at first, then had these problems so I took the motherboard out and replaced the brass spacers with plastic ones. I replaced the processor, RAM, and video card and am still getting the same problem. Is there supposed to be a seperate ground somewhere? I would think it would be grounded through the power supply?

Might I need to move the reset cmos jumper? If so, do you put it on pins 2-3 for just a minute or two? Do you do that with the power on or off?

Also, before my motherboard went bad on my old HP, I put a new Maxtor HD in the computer. Now that the computer is done, I want to use the same new HD in the new computer. If I tell this BIOS (assuming I get it to run) to use this HD, will it load windows and all my files just like normal or will I run into problems since it's with a new motherboard?

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated! I'm kinda lost here....

Thank you!
    Adam

2. norton850

norton850

Good Morning

To eliminate the grounding issue, put the motherboard on the box that it came in, attach only the video card and monitor, one stick RAM, CPU/heatsink/fan and the wire from the front case switch.

Edit: Once you get something up on the screen you can deal with the other questions

3. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

I would try the reset jumper on the motherboard.
    Turn off the PC and unplug the cord from the power supply.
    Move the jumper to pins 2-3 and leave it there for a minute. Then move back to 1-2.

As for the HDD, it may work or it may not work. Depends how different the motherboards are. You'll just have to plug it in and see what happens. Make sure you back up the important data on the HDD first though. Put it in a working PC as a slave drive and backup.

4. brite750

brite750

Nothing wrong with the brass spacers they just have to be in right spot, there is not separate ground for the mobo. Lets see, the mobo is new the ram is new the gfx card is new but the cpu is old, try setup with w/o gfx card out of case, just psu/mobo/cpu/ram see if you can get the happy single post beep then if not i'm thinking its your cpu

5. frossy

frossy Thread Starter

Hey guys,

Thanks a bunch for your responses! Sadly, I tried what all three of you suggusted and nothing worked any different. It still did the different combos of the same variables I mentioned in my original post. Twice the first screen appeared, but it's strange. The first time it did, it recognized my processor by name, but then froze. the second time the initial screen appeared, it wrote out the top line of text then froze mid word. It didn't get to writing out the type of processor. The few times I've seen this screen, it has sometimes gotten to the part of the processor, but never past that. I tried another stick of memory, my old pc100 128mb stick from my old computer, with no different results. I also tried another processor, my old 466 celeron, but i don't even think the motherboard will recognize that processor becaues the monitor power light didn't even change from orange to green when that processor was installed. Any more suggustions please?!?!

6. Jack Horner

Jack Horner

Is this board new or used? If used, check the capacitors, to see if any are bulged/leaking/burned. If so the board is bad.

7. frossy

frossy Thread Starter

Jack Horner,

Thank you for taking an interest in this problem. The board is brand-new, ordered off of newegg.com

8. frossy

frossy Thread Starter

I wanted to thank everyone for their responses. after dealing with DFI tech support I gave up and sent the mobo back for repair. I ended up ordering an Asus mobo (A7N8X-X) with a new AMD processor instead and now everything is working quite well.

Except, Asus has seemed to hide where to hook up the HDD LED, my computer automatically restarts when I try to shut it down, for some reason it won't let me play audio cd's with my CD-ROM, the BIOS and windows says my AMD Sempron 2500+ is an Athlon XP 1.025ghz processor, and it won't let me turn on the internet firewall for my wireless connection. A bunch of strange little problems, but at least the main parts work and it's way faster than my old computer! I'll slowly whittle down the odd things as time allows

Thanks again everyone!

Adam

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327751

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice