1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Newbie here wanting to put in a 1050 or better video card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BJCglc, May 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BJCglc

BJCglc Thread Starter

Hello,wanting to put a 1050 video card or higher in my pc and also add ram.please help or can anyone suggest any good videos to watch here are my specs
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4460 CPU @ 3.20GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8135 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750, -2048 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 916 GB (356 GB Free);
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., G20AJ
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

2. Sawuwaya

Sawuwaya

Greetings, New One!

For a video selection you can also use your (any) streaming services and choose a 4K video. 4K videos are of a higher quality than that of a DVD or Blue Ray (because you will not know if your video on those medias are truly the highest video quality to test your new equipment).

Cheers!

《♤》Sawuwaya / Spirit Wolfe 《♤》

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Clipboard.jpg

You should be able to play and watch videos just fine with the hardware specs your computer already has.

We have no idea how well you maintain your computer and what's installed and running in it, so that can have a big impact on speed and performance.

----------------------------------------------------------------

4. BJCglc

BJCglc Thread Starter

Thank you so much for responding so quickly...i will try compressed air and then see if i need to do anything else.my neice and i have the same model pc and she had the same problem and she replaced her ssd and upgraded to a 1050 video card.

5. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Switching from a mechanical hard drive to a solid state drive(SSD) can have a noticeable improvement on speed and performance. (y)

--------------------------------------------------------------

6. BJCglc

BJCglc Thread Starter

Thank you sir,for that advice..also changing the video card some 1 told me that i needed to plug in a thumb drive.Is this true?

7. BJCglc

BJCglc Thread Starter

Thank you ,for your reply i have a tv that i run my pc on at the moment looking into getting 4k tv

8. BJCglc

BJCglc Thread Starter

Great news found my video card cables hooray..But here is my issue now i don't know what ram card to buy best buy told me could use 2x 8g cosairs the have on sale that's 2.4 Ghz but my system states 3.20Ghz new to this so its unclear to me you don't have to have equal ghz when purchasing the ram ..what i meant to say is do i not have to put 3.20 ghz ram back in or can i go with the 2.4? Please help don't want to be a pain in the buttocks but i need help..i appreciate you all

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Your ASUS ROG G20AJ supports up to 16 GB(8 GB X 2) of RAM and supports DDR3-1333 MHz or DDR3-1600 MHz modules.
    It has an Intel Core i5-4460 3.20 GHz quad core processor which also supports DDR3-1333 MHz or DDR3-1600 MHz modules.

If you want to increase the amount of RAM to 16 GB, you should purchase DDR3-1600 MHz, 1.5 volt, unbuffered, non-ECC modules.
    These Crucial and Corsair 8 GB modules should work okay:
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIADRH7B64639
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233371

It has a 180 - 230W power adapter instead of an internal power supply unit, so it probably won't be able to handle the power demands of a more powerful graphic card.
    And because of the lack of space and ventilation inside the case, it probably will have an overheating issue.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: May 27, 2018
  10. BJCglc

BJCglc Thread Starter

Thank you sir,my niece has the ASUS ROG 20 she told me she had best buy put in a 1050 ti without upgrading the power supply she had to lie to me Lol. Sir i went on Newegg but the 16 gb where a little out my price range..I checked Bestbuy and they have a 2pk Cosair-Vengence pro-series 1600mhz 1.6v for 140.99 excluding tax will that work and is it a good price?Also when installing ram do i have to configure any settings in bios or any other section for it to operate properly? So i cant even put in a 970 card sir i got my info wrong she said it was just a 1050 no ti

Last edited: May 27, 2018
  11. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    If your niece installed a GeForce GTX 1050 to replace the GeForce GTX 750, these are the updated benchmark scores for the processor and graphic card:

Clipboard.jpg

Their power needs increased by only 20W, so hopefully the 180 - 230W power adapter will suffice.

Once you start putting a gaming load on your ASUS ROG G20AJ desktop, you'll find out soon enough if there's a power issue and/or an overheating issue.

------------------------------------------------------------------

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1210371

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice