1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Newbie hotspot question

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Pauldda, Oct 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pauldda

Pauldda Thread Starter

Hi. I’d appreciate some advice on what type of hotspot to get.
    I’m an illustrator and my studio is in a very old building which doesn’t have WiFi.
    I don’t need WiFi a lot, but it would be helpful occasionally, particularly when I need to stream videos from clients.
    I have Sprint for my phone. Apparently, for an additional $70 per month I could get unlimited data and my phone would become a hotspot. I don’t know how that would work, particularly how I would hook up my Windows 10 Dell laptop to my iPhone.
    Can anyone give me information and/or advice on this? Is this a good solution for getting an affordable, decent hotspot?
    Thanks.

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

I have Sprint and have the hot spot capability with my Samsung S8. I don't use Apple products so I don't know the specifics on activating the hot spot function. With my Samsing, I go into the mobile hotspot submenu under settings. There I can turn on the hotspot feature. Here it will tell me what SSID my phone will broadcast and what the password is set to. It is also where you see what devices are connected to your phone's hotspot.

I can't imagine an iPhone would be that much different.

Of note, data used by your phone is unlimited. Data consumed by devices connected to the phone's hotspot is not. There is a data cap. I think the current planes top out at 15 GB.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1217292

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice