1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

newbie needs help on setup from onboard sound to PCI soundcard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Xenos, Jan 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xenos

Xenos Thread Starter

Hello. After playing many games of Unreal Tournament on low settings to troublshoot a problem, I have finally decided that it seems my onboard sound VIA AC'97 was slowing stuff down. So, I bought a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card. I just want to make sure I am correct when getting my computer ready for the soundcard since this is a first for me. Here are my specs:

AMD Athalon 1 GIG CPU

ASUS A7V133 Socket A motheboard w/ KT133A Chipset

VIA AC'97 Audio controller
    VIA 4in1Drivers 436
    GeForce 2 MX 400 64MB
    512 Megs of RAM

Windows 98SE

I have the mobo manual out and this is what I interpret:

1. Change the jumpers to the disable postion on my mobo

2. Go in my BIOS and disable Onboard AC'97 Audio Controller setting.

Ok, that seems pretty straighforward. Now after I do that, do I remove my AC'97 via audio controller from device manager?

Then, i shut down and put in the sound card and start it up and install the drivers?

I am not sure of the order to do this whole procedure in so if someone can help me I would greatly appreciate it.

2. ian.t

ian.t

Basically that is the process

You will need to remove all references to old drivers in system properties - these may also include references to 'dos emulation' and game controllers.

Also you will need to connect your cd-rom to the new souncard, it will have a wire going into the mobo somewhere. Your new s.card may have a reference such as "cd-in", the connection needs swapped from the mobo to here. You don't need to remove the wire from the cd-rom altogether, just the mobo connection.

leave the case off (just incase it goes silly first time)and reboot when everything is in order and leave windows to do the rest - with the new drivers at the ready !

oh, and don't forget to earth yourself !

ian.t ;)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65753

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice