1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Newbie! Overclocking my e5800

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Katylar, Nov 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Katylar

Katylar Thread Starter

Hi!

I'm a newbie when it comes to overclocking, and I've been reading up on the process for a while now. Unfortunately, it seems that everyone has their own opinion of what works and what doesn't, which tools are the best, and the process itself is very case-to-case.

I've read this thread (http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/888033-basic-guide-overclocking-read-before.html) and although it was very enlightening, it's not very specific.

So I was hoping for some basic steps on what to do.

First, I just want to increase my performance even by just a small bit. My case has a large fan, and my room itself is pretty cool, so I don't plan to install any cooling systems or upgrade by PSU's aside from my stock.

My Specs

Name Intel Pentium E5800
    Codename Wolfdale
    Specification Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5800 @ 3.20GHz
    Package (platform ID) Socket 775 LGA (0x0)
    CPUID 6.7.A
    Extended CPUID 6.17
    Core Stepping R0
    Technology 45 nm
    TDP Limit 65 Watts
    Core Speed 1197.0 MHz
    Multiplier x FSB 6.0 x 199.5 MHz
    Rated Bus speed 798.0 MHz
    Stock frequency 3200 MHz

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-------------------

I've downloaded most of the software that people cite: Prime 95 (v26 - 64 bit), Aida 64 Extreme, Memtest86.. etc.

I'm currently running Windows 7 Professional, and it's a fresh install. I've updated the BIOS version to the latest one from the Intel Site. It's such a shame that my MoBo maxes out at 4GB RAM, so until I upgrade my board, I'll be living with the 2GB (I'll buy another 2GB module next week).

Can anyone help or point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

2. Katylar

Katylar Thread Starter

I realized that my Intel MoBo won't allow overclocking. As such, my current option is to use a Software Overclocker.

I've checked and my PLL is SLG8XP548T (Silego). I can't seem to find support for it amongst the ClockGen, CPUCool, CPUFSB and SetFSB apps.

So I'll be doing a Software overclock, just to get that incremental speed boost. Any advice?

Thanks!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028945

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice