1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Newbie problems

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by autofix, Jan 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. autofix

autofix Thread Starter

Hi all,

First time post for me, so thanks in advance for any help i get here.

Normally I search the net looking for fixes for my problems but this one has me beaten, so far :) I have found a few suggested solutions but none have worked. One suggested editing the registry but my registry entried were not the same. I found and deleted all the owner files that I could.

I am running 98SE on an IBM thinkpad 600x.

Now my problem. When I open word I get a message saying "word could not open" with a square. Also I cannot open any doc's I get the message "doc is locked for editing by another user". If I then try to close word I get the message "the file normal already exists, do you want to replace it".

I tried to load norton as I read that old versions could cause similar faults but got the message that the temp folder is unaccessible or full.

Also when I open my computer it can not open my C drive unless I right click it and select explore.

TIA

Alan

2. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

Delete all occurances of normal.dot

3. autofix

autofix Thread Starter

Hi,

Sorry, I forgot to mention, that was one of the solutions I found and it didnt work. There was just one normal.dot file which I deleted but it made on change.

Thanks

Alan

4. autofix

autofix Thread Starter

Hi all,

This problem is mostly sorted. My word is back to normal, which was my main concern.

The clue was in the message for temp folder. I cleared this folder and now have word back to normal again.

The only remaining issue that I can see so far is that "c" will not open in "my computer" unless I right click it and select explore, but I guess i can live with that if everything else is ok.

Regards

Alan

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

6. autofix

autofix Thread Starter

Hi,

Sorry for being a bit late with my reply.

Thanks, but that script didnt do anything for me. I noticed it mentioned XP, which may be the reason as I am running 98se.

I never got to the bottom of the remainder of the problem, but since clearing the temp file i have everything working besides the issue mentioned above. This is good enough for now.

Thanks again

Alan

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!