1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

newbie+programming tools+Certifications for Career Opportuinties+Please help

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by jonasdatum, Nov 21, 2001.

Advertisement
  1. jonasdatum

jonasdatum Thread Starter

Hello.

I need basic/entry level certifications on Linux, MCSE, Unix, programming and Hardware. Does anybody here know any good books, online training course, etc that can help me?

Which version of Linux should I use to learn how it works (keep in mind that corel said it would be terminating it's linux)? Which Version of Unix?

I was also wondering how could I get into the gaming industry (entry level) as a programmer or level designer. Anybody know what certications, applications, and companies I should try for entry level position involving this?

I also want to do programming in my spare time. Writing small useful applications. Then sell them for a small profit. However, I don't know how would I incorperate this into any application I may possibly write. Some expamples SnappyFax, Mighty Fax, maybe even a DVD playing program. Program for hand helds would particularly be useful to sell. How would I go about doing this?

2. columbo

columbo

Hi,

I can't really advise you on programming and linux certs., however, for Hardware you should probably start off by getting your A+. There is a really helpful A+ study guide by somebody named Scott Mueller (I think thats his last name, but I'm not positive). After you've studied, you can contact COMPtia, and find a testing site near you.
    In regards to finding employment, I would strongly advise that you start off at a help-desk position, or some other entry-level position, in order to gain more practical knowledge. While certifications and designations can be helpful in getting a job, you'll definitely find that hands-on, practical experience and knowledge is what you'll require.
    You should probably refine/sharpen your focus to a particular field in computing (ie-programming, field technician, server engineer, linux admin, etc..). Most positions in the IT industry require a specific set of job skills. In other words, studying Linux administration probably is going to help you much if you get a job troubleshooting Windows 95/98 clients.

Good Luck:D

3. jonasdatum

Yes,

I have have read up a little on these. A +, Network +, (other basic one I don't remember). Examcram.com books I heard are good, but mine are two years old. So I need some good ones. You are right I do need some hands on. I am trying to raise funds for that. I hope to get into it soon.

Keep those suggestions comming.
    Thanks people!

4. jonasdatum

Hello.

I need some good certification sites. Anybody know any?

5. Mithrilhall

Mithrilhall

If you're looking to get into gaming (which I am - and hopefully I'll be graduating soon) then I would say your best bet is C++.

For an easy to use language for beginners I would try Visual Basic 6.0 and for a procedural language I would try C.

I have only had the opportunity to try one flavor of Linux (Mandrake) and I love it. If you are looking for a Windows type of GUI then I would suggest Mandrake. If you're looking for a command line only version of Linux you can install Mandrake without the GUI options.

I hope this helps you out.

Mithrilhall

6. cwolfe98

cwolfe98

7. jonasdatum

Hello.

I am definiately going to get my certifications this summer. I have decided on A+, "one of the basic networking certification (network plus or the other one. I think it is iNet?)", and MCSE. I want to start working this fall at least on the weekends. However, I need some good titles. I would prefer something I could learn with or without the CD (Preferably I would use the CD).

Another question that digresses a little. I have been thinking of changing initial degress. I am currently taking Mathematics and Computer Studies (essentially a minor), but I want to persue Computer Science and a few others that do require math. So what should I do? Take the math first (which will take me two years) or the computer science course first?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59178

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice