1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Newbie question about microsoft office product key

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by mdkc324, Sep 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mdkc324

mdkc324 Thread Starter

Hi

I bought an HP Compaq Presario CQ62 6 weeks ago and it's got Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit pre installed.
    Also preinstalled is the Microsoft Office 60 day trial - online, with Office 2007 on it. Not having had any problems with Word on my previous pc (also must have been preinstalled) I was unaware that they now put trial versions of microsoft office on these pc's.

What I'm getting at is that I now find that the product key won't unlock Office 2007 and if I want to use Word I'll have to pay for a new download or disk. The retailer said nothing about this.

I just checked out Microsoft's prices for the full 2010 suite and it's about $150. No way.

I checked a site (kattrax.net) and they're offering the Office Standard 2007 Full version for $70.
    1) How can I tell if it's really genuine?
    2) If it is, do I just go ahead and download it, and what do I need to uninstall before doing that, if anything?
    3) Product Key. It says on their page "After purchasing Office 2007 you can download software or use only Microsoft licence key for activation Office 2007 and pass Microsoft Genuine Advantage".

What does that mean after "......use only Microsoft licence key for..............."

Would really appreciate some info/advice about this.

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

The website shows no business information, no address or location, no phone numbers, and no email address. I would stay away from them and all other similar sites.

3. valis

valis Moderator

That stuff from kattrax.net is almost definitely false.........BUT, for about 30 bucks more, you can get a genuine version of O2k7 from Amazon.com

4. mdkc324

mdkc324 Thread Starter

Ok thanks

5. headless

headless

Could even get one off eBay, depends what trust you have in it...

6. valis

valis Moderator

Not going to get an office key off of ebay......but you could purchase an install disk WITH an office key.

7. headless

headless

Well yeah thats what I meant

8. mdkc324

mdkc324 Thread Starter

I know I said I wouldn't but on reflection changed my mind and bought/downloaded/installed MS Office Home & Student 2010 obviously using the new license key provided.

Thing is when I started playing around with it I created a small file/page in Word with about 40 or 50 words on it, saved it to Documents and then noticed that the file size was 16KB . Normally when I write 750 word articles in Notepad then save it to Documents the file size is about 6 or 7 KB. Can anyone explain this?

I've posted a question in the microsoftoffice2010 forum but no reply as yet.

9. letchworth

letchworth

Size is relative, I guess-- but to answer your question, MSWord has a lot of overhead in their file format-- just the way it is. There is all kinds of information saved as regards formatting, etc., etc.-- whereas Notepad is barebones.

Open Office (and it's derivatives) files are usually smaller-- just the way the format is set up. With the size of today's hard drives- that is usually not a problem, though-- [but I often marvel at how large even a simple file can be].
    letchworth

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1016250

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice