1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Newbie Question: Finding IP Addresses

Discussion in 'Networking' started by SamRvs, Jun 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SamRvs

SamRvs Thread Starter

Hi, I have just been hired on by an IT department with several hundred computers and several subnets, and my boss has asked me to provide him with a range of a dozen or so available IPs on our network. I've only worked with networks that use static IPs. Here, they use DHCP and static addresses both. How can I figure out which IPs are available?

2. nexxev0

nexxev0

You could use an IP scanner. There is a program i use every once in a while called Angry IP scanner. Its not as scary as the name makes it out to be :p. You put in a range for the IPs and it scans for active ones. The ones that are inactive show up as red.

3. Mhouser

Mhouser

Need an ipscan program.

I use Free IP Scanner http://www.eusing.com/ipscan/free_ip_scanner.htm
    tell it a range to scan thru.
    Example: Start 10.0.0.1 End 10.0.1.255
    This would scan everything from 10.0.0. (1 thru 255) & 10.0.1.(1 thru 255)

Program reports IP, Workgroup Name, Host name, User, Mac Address

if reports N/S (no signal) usually available for Static address. Look for a group of these together.

4. nexxev0

nexxev0

5. Mhouser

Mhouser

For some reason my company firewall blocks all download sites for other IP Scanners except to the one I posted.

6. SamRvs

SamRvs Thread Starter

Thanks nexxev0 and Mhouser. I will download both of those immediately!

7. nexxev0

nexxev0

Eh IP scanning tools probably aren't exactly the best thing to let your fellow employees download :p

SamRvs:
    No problem :)

8. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor

In the environments I've worked, if you run any scanner or even the tools linked here, you will have a visit by the security office.

Anyways, if the environment is running DHCP, you can look on the DHCP server and see which IPs it has leased out. The scanner referenced to ping ranges of IPs only works if the device is turned on and answering.

9. SamRvs

SamRvs Thread Starter

That's a good point zx10guy. I had wondered about that. So, do I look under Scope > Reservations in DHCP?

10. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor

No. It should be under some sort of log section. Sounds like you're using Windows server. It's been a while since I looked at a DHCP setup. The scope > reservations part is only if you want to set reservations (exclusions) within a pool of addresses in a scope.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1058806