1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Newbie with a defrag question!

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by chris in va, Jan 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chris in va

chris in va Thread Starter

Hi all, I heard about your site from a friend. I hope you guys can help with a few problems I've come across.

Yesterday, I went to a friends house. They have this older computer, 6 gig h/d with 366 or so processor. I guess it's been running *extremely* slow, so I offered to delete some cookies (over 2000) and do a defrag. For some reason, someone decided to put WinME on this machine. I attempted to run Scandisk and defrag, but it comes up with numerous restarts and some other program is rewriting to the hard drive? Nothing appears to be running on the toolbar. Even on my machine with 98SE, it does that.

Any ideas?

2. RandyG

RandyG

[tsg=welcome][/tsg]

Defrag, and scandisk, try to check the harddrive, and anything accessing it can cause a restart. Typical problems are programs running in the background and screensavers.

Your best option would be to boot the system into safe mode and run scandisk and defrag from there.

If you want to run it from normal Windows, then Ctrl+Alt+Del and End Task everything except Explorer. Then right-click your desktop and go to Properties, and on the Screensaver tab disable the screensaver. After that, run Scandisk and defrag!

3. chris in va

Ok thanks for the advice. As a test, I tried exiting everything but Systray and Explorer on my own computer, but when I stopped Ccapp it wiped off my screen. I have no idea what it does, but oh well...I'll leave it running.

4. john1

john1

Ccapp ?
    Whats that then?

5. john1

john1

Tried google,
    it seems to be associated with
    Norton Anti Virus

6. chris in va

Ah, that would make sense as I have Norton on my machine.

Thanks again, I finally got defrag to work on hers using the Safe mode.

Now tomorrow I'm taking it in for a 'tune up' to get some issues worked out, but one thing bugs me. She has both of her RAM slots filled, but only shows 96MB of RAM? I don't get it.

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Chris:

You might also want to delete the buildup of temp files from that computer under:

*.TMP

C:\TEMP\*.* (If this folder exists)

C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\*.*

Everything that appears should be deleted.

If it has 96 MB of RAM in 2 slots, it probably has a 64 MB module and a 32 MB module installed. More RAM would definitely perk up that old computer.

Go into the MSCONFIG startup tab and uncheck and disabled anything that does not need to be running in the background.

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips :)

8. imweasel

imweasel

I have found that leaving anything actively running while running a defrag can cause some issues with the defrag.

Shutdown everything. AV and firewalls and anything else.

9. LANMaster

LANMaster Banned

Someone please confirm this for me ...

Would changing the pagefile (virtual memory) size to a smaller minimum and a larger maximum help to speed up Chris in VA's older computer?

:rolleyes:

Sincerely curious,

10. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    LanMaster:

How much RAM is installed and what that computer is used for is a good measure of deciding what fixed size to set virtual memory(the swapfile) to. My 5-1/2 year old HP 8160 has 128 MB of RAM and is set to a fixed size of 200 MB.

Setting virtual memory to a fixed size has always been a hotly-debated topic, and I suspect that you just got another one going.:(

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips:)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112295

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice