1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

newbuild Computer shuts itself down???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lennybennett, Jun 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lennybennett

lennybennett Thread Starter

i have put together a new computer but it shuts itself down after about two minutes.

i checked everything was compatible but still not working. it consists of a

antec fusion lifestyle case with a 430Watt ATX12V 2.01 power pack
    asus p5vd2-mx se motherboard
    intel pentium d 3.2 processor
    2x 1gig ddr2 ram
    sata hard drive and a dvd rom
    vista business ( not the point as i can not install it, and my computer shuts down even if i am on the bios screen)

i have considered 2 possible problems,

1, My power supply does not include a -5v line ? but i thought those was obsolete on new motherboards ?

2, My cpu fan has 4 pins, but the motherboard connector only has 3pins.

Can anyone help please

2. HalTrout

HalTrout

Heat issue most likely. Suspect your heatsink fan is inadequate for your cpu.

3. lennybennett

the heatsink fan came with the cpu but would that make the comp shut down? as the more times i try 2 boot up the quicker the shut down

4. HalTrout

HalTrout

With the side panel removed check to see if the fan is spinning.
    Make sure you don't ruin your setup because of your cooling fan. Do you have an option in your bios to run the fan at top speed? I would consider buying a good 3pin fan, and not take anymore changes with your setup.

5. win2kpro

win2kpro

You can run a fan with a 4 pin connector from a 3 pin motherboard header with no problems. The only thing you won't have is fan variable speed control based on the processor temperature.

I suspect that your shutdown problem may be caused by an air gap between the heatsink and the heat spreader. Follow the following instructions to re-seat the heatsink.

These instructions apply to INTEL coolers that were shipped with pre-applied Thermal Interface Material or Thermal Interface Compound.

Without removing the cooler take a flat blade screwdriver and turn the locking pins 90-degrees counterclockwise to the unlock position. With all the locking pins loose, without lifting up on the cooler assembly "gently" turn the cooler assembly left and right a couple of times (Just a couple of degrees each way). Turn the locking pin assemblies back clockwise as far as they will go by hand, and re-align the locking pins with the holes in the motherboard. Push down HARD on 2 pins at a time diagonal from each other, until all 4 pins are fully down and locked.

After the processor cooler is fully down and locked, see if the machine will run.

6. lennybennett

SPOT ON WIN2KPRO !!!

Followed your instructions and it worked a treat!

You probably saved me a good few hours tinkering

THANKS AGAIN

LENNYBENNETT

7. win2kpro

win2kpro

You're very welcome. (y)

8. brite750

brite750

see what mean about the 775 hsf;)
    I remeber the 1st one i installed, they tell you to install with the MB out of case so you can see the back side of the MB to make sure pins are through, so your trying to hold the MB up and push the pins throught etc. without cracking your MB in half anyway come to find out you dont have to do that

9. win2kpro

win2kpro

I've installed numerous 775's in and out of the case. The only time I ever had a problem was with the 1st one, and that was because I didn't push down hard enough on the locking pins. I was to accustomed to ZIF receivers.

Take an old board and try to break it. I think you will be suprised at the pressure you would have to apply to crack the board.

Intel doesn't tell you to install the cooler outside the case, they tell you it can be done either way. Obviously, if I have to replace a cooler in the field I'm not going to bother with pulling the board from the case. To me after you do a few 775 installs it's just as easy in the case as out of the case.

10. brite750

brite750

LOL you need to lighten up:D yes i would hope when your in the field that you wouldnt need to pull the MB, It shouldnt even be an option though IMO, and yes by the second time its not so bad, but for the first timer its a nightmare, and every time i see someone with "my temps are high" or "my newly built pc shuts off" I can almost bet its someone with a 775, I'm just sayin. Luckily its an easy enough fix, I like the guy who scaped off the TIM, whats this stuff for?;)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590349

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice