1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Newbuild pc

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by anlaoch, Sep 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. anlaoch

anlaoch Thread Starter

I've begun to build a pc using: ASrock K7S8X, xp 2400, ddr 333, and Radeon 9200se AGP as a foundation. Trouble is: when booting up (with only 3.5 floppy attached), the system picks up the keyboard and optical mouse until it beeps the memory check. It then drops the keyboard and mouse. If I put a boot disk in the floppy, it picks it up, but I can't communicate with the machine as the mouse / keyboard have been cut off.

All help appreciated.

Emlyn.

2. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Are these wireless? I mean the keyboard and mouse? If so you may have to use wired ones until you get the OS on the machine.

3. anlaoch

anlaoch Thread Starter

They keyboard and mouse are both corded. The system picks up the mouse and keyboard until the memory beep. Then the keyboard stops responding and the light on the optical mouse goes off. So I'm guessing that whatever the boot process tries to do after checking the memory, has something to do with this.

4. n2gun

n2gun

Try resetting the bios (clear cmos) with the jumper. Also make sure it is in the right position. It sounds like it is at the point it is looking to the bios settimgs and may not be finding them.

5. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

What size and name power supply. I'm betting it's not getting enough power to the PS2 ports. Can you try a different one?

6. anlaoch

anlaoch Thread Starter

Sorry, should have said the kb and mouse are USB. The PS is 350W. Also, the mouse and kb are getting power to begin (enough for the kb to be used in the BIOS). It's only after the memory test beep, that the two items die. I've reset the CMOS in case there was anything funny there. Still got the same problem.

Should I strip the machine back to the bare essentials and start again?

7. n2gun

n2gun

Try using a powered usb hub. It may be that after it gets so far into the bootup that there is not enough power going to them.

8. Whitestar

Whitestar

If youve got a spare ps/2 kb and mouse, try those. A 350w PSU is more than enough for what is running in that machine, even if it is a poor quality psu.

9. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Have you got USB support for DOS enabled in the BIOS? You may need to use a PS2 keyboard to enable it.

10. anlaoch

anlaoch Thread Starter

There's an option in the BIOS for "USB Legacy Devices" (I think that's the wording). I have enabled it already (even after resetting the CMOS) as the keyboard works when I'm in the BIOS. It's only when I exit that the devices fail.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276391

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice