1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Newegg Printers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by anonymousx, Jun 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. anonymousx

anonymousx Thread Starter

Hi there, I need a printer for college I guess, well, I'm looking for a printer thats $1-100, the reason I'm posting a question is that, I'm curious if anyone could find the smallest dimensioned printers available in the price range that will print a normal sized paper. Should I bother driving to Staples and see what they have in that price range ? Thanks

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

The cost of the printer is only one part of the cost. You can get a very cheap, small printer for very little up-front cost, but the ink cartridges may cost more than the printer and the per-page cost could be very high.

If you're going to print primarily text, a laser printer might be a cheaper overall solution. Or check out the capabilities of the campus. There may be printers right in your dorm or at a computer lab you can use.

3. anonymousx

Yes I will be primarily be printing text once in a while, so it won't get much use most likely. Luckily the college is only 6 minutes away, so I can stay at my house and use my gaming rig, even though I kind of am a little up tight on using it for this purpose. So far most printers I've been looking at come with about 4 cartridges which is nice. I just need to find a long USB cable now, hopefully newegg has some.

4. Compiler

Compiler

Most cheap -$100 printers only have 2 ink carts (b & TriColor) -

But just a plain printer or a multi-function? Brother has a multi-tank or under $100, mine is 3 years ago and is being retired since the heads are worn out and I'm out of ink. The scanner unit is great tho :( Its paper tray is on the bottom and doesn't stick out like HP printers. Canon makes some nice $50 printers that are very compact and square. $100 should be a multi-tank design.

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

The ink cartridges will dry out if they're not used frequently. That's another reason to get a laser printer.

6. Compiler

Compiler

Yep Yep... I forgot to add that part. Need to use the printer every 3-6 months or it dies or the print-head dies.

7. anonymousx

I see, so whats the least I can use a non laser printer, like Inkjet, without worrying about the
    catridges drying up ? We have a basic cheap printer ( about 20 bucks ) in our living room, and it gets used like twice a year, but haven't had a problem with drying ink yet :confused:

I've been looking at Canon, and the only printers I'm interested in happen to print photos as well which actually isn't a plus. The reason for this is I'm looking for either all Black colored printers , or a Black printer with Silver Borders so It goes with my whole color coordination of my Computer Setup.

How are these ?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16828102259R

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16828103209R

What should I look for in the Specifications to let me know that the printer takes Normal Sized computer Paper when I'm looking at photo printers ?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!