1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Newer video cards give poorer performance

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DavivMcD, Apr 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DavivMcD

DavivMcD Thread Starter

I currently have 3 video cards available to use in my system: (all geforces) MX440, 6200, and 7600GT. The MX440 works fine, besdes being old and slow. But both of the newer cards have been giving me severe headaches.

6200: The first problem I encountered when I first installed it was that movie files would lock my system. Also, certain effects in some games would reduce my framerate to about 1. Some examples: any monitors in Doom 3, sparks or flashing effects in Half-Life 2, opening movies or animated logos at the launch of several different games. This was using DirectX 9.0c and the latest NVidia drivers at the time. After trying older NVidia drivers I was able to solve the movie file problem by using version 84.21. However all of the game problems still occured.

7600gt: The game problems listed above never showed up on the 7600, but the movie file problem did. Unfortunately, the NVida driver version 84.21 won't install with this card, so I can't get around it this time. Also, a couple of new problems in games have showed up. Particle effects will often show the full polygon of the particles in opaque colors, rather than blended/transparent colors. So, for example, in X2: The Threat, ship contrails appear as hundreds of white and blue sticks tumbling out of the engines, instead of gas or smoke. Similarly in Prince of Persia: Warrior Within, instead of motion blurs following the movements of blades, I leave a trail of the same type of 'sticks'. And most annoyingly, text that appears ingame often contains glitches: horizontal bars covering up the letters. This occurs mainly in X2, and also has a detrimental effect on the framerate. After some testing I realized that these same game issues occured with the 6200, but only with the newer (post 84.21) versions of NVidia drivers.

I have a feeling DirectX has something to do with my problems, for a couple of reasons: When I run dxdiag and hit "Test Direct3D", the cube for the DX7 interfaces has the same white horizontal bars flashing on it as I described above. And when I disable DirectDraw acceleration, I am able to play movie files without problems. But I have the latest version of 9.0c, and everything checks out according to dxdiag, so I have no clue what's wrong.

basic specs:
    Asus A7N8X
    AMD XP 3000+
    2x512MB pc3200 ram
    350W power supply

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

My first move would be to try the cards in a different system to see if you can isolate the issue.

3. Compiler

Compiler

Yeah, that 7600GT should easily be the fastest card... considering how horrible the mx440 is (no insult implied)...

Did you completely uninstall ALL the old drivers?

4. DavivMcD

DavivMcD Thread Starter

No insult taken =P. The mx was just a card I had laying around from my original system 4-5 years ago. Yes, completely uninstalled all drivers, several times. Tried many different drivers whenever I reinstalled. Mostly I just went through all the available drivers in the archives on NVidia's website. I also tried the drivers included on the CD's with each card, and letting WinXP automatically pick a driver, all with the same results.

The 7600gt certainly has the fastest and best quality graphics of all 3. It's just those specific problems I mentioned that make it annoying. For the moment I'm just working around them as best I can. If I want to watch movies I just disable DirectDraw, and if I want to play X2 I swap out the 7600gt for the mx440. X2 is the only game that actually slows down due to the glitches.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/567494

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice