1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Newest update of McAfee Virus Scan

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by captainbaldo, Feb 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. captainbaldo

captainbaldo Thread Starter

I was just wondering if anyone else was having problems with McAfee's latest virus def update? I personally use Norton, but at work (tech support) we've been getting alot of calls from people that have updated to the latest McAfee upgrade, and their computer would work fine for about a week, and then the system would get stuck at the Windows 98 bootup splash screen. This only seems to affect Windows 98, and like I said, seems to happen about a week after the update. The only way that I've figured out to fix the problem is to rename the autoexec.bat and config.sys files and it boots right up. The main two things I was wondering about was if anyone else was experiencing this and if anyone knew what was causing this problem in the McAfee update?

2. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Uninstall it and get the free AVG Anti-virus from http://www.grisoft.com.

When uninstalling any software never remove a Shared Component. Always choose 'No To All', 'Keep' or 'Remove None' when prompted.

3. John Sparkman

John Sparkman

Except if your uninstalling McAfee virus scan 5.X and above.

Removing these files will prevent any problems with other virus scanners that you may install after removing McAfee Virus Scan, that includes installing a newer version of McAfee.

4. captainbaldo

captainbaldo Thread Starter

I'm not sure if I made my question clear or not. I'm not personally using McAfee, and I'm not really wondering how to fix the problem...I'm just wondering if other people are having the same problem and if they know why. At work today we had at least 2 more people call in with the same problem. I'm just wondering if this is a Gateway thing or if it has been affecting a wide range of systems. I can't really tell my clients to download a different virus scan, since for many of them, thats the one we sent them originally with their systems.

Just curious, I guess.

--Cap

5. rugrat

rugrat

captainbaldo,

I am using McAfee scan engine 4.1.20 and updated the DAT files last about a week ago (4185). No problems on either of 2 machines. Is it a newer DAT than 4185?

Good Luck

6. Styxx

Styxx Banned

They may need to buy a new subscription then! You can't download updates without purchasing the right to get new updates after 6 month to a year. Ok? If you try without purchasing the software tells you no in one way or another.

7. John Sparkman

John Sparkman

I'm running a Gateway computer and also McAfee virus scan 6.02 with the latest dat files and I am having no problems. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/69309

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice