1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Newly assigned user - now no "Administrator" login

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by tandanus, Jul 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tandanus

tandanus Thread Starter

Hi all,
    I recently assigned a new user (the first one) to an XP machine. Previously, as it started up, it prompted with "Administrator" and a password field (which I had left blank), and a message about being able to setup users once I logged in. Now, having assigned a user, all I get is the offering of the new user, and when clicking on that I get prompted for the password. When I type in the password, the desktop is nothing like what it used to look like when I went in through "Administrator" - the desktop image is gone and the shortcuts that were on the desktop are gone. And my drive mappings to my network are gone. How do I get back to the "Administrator" login screen? and/or assign the Administrator desktop to the new user? :confused:
    T.
    PS If its of any help, I assigned the new user because the machine is a client of a destop with a server in it, and I needed a common user/password to make them talk to each other.......

2. tandanus

tandanus Thread Starter

I'll answer my own question - as a newbie it may be the only one I ever answer correctly (for a while) ;)
    You have to set the user that appears with the icon at the startup screen to only appear as a name and password prompt - its done through the "Change the way users log on or off" bit in the User Accounts section in Control panel. Then you restart and type in Administrator as the user and the password. This takes you back to the Administrator's desktop configuration. :)
    Why Administrator doesnt show up as a user that you can switch to is anyone's guess :confused:
    T.

3. avisitor

avisitor

You do realize that having an account on the computer with the same username is not required to connect to a network share. You logon to the share with the username SERVERNAME\username.

4. Rick_in_Fla

Rick_in_Fla

The built in Administrator account does not show up after a user account is created. This is by design as the built in Administrator account should not be used for regular day to day activities. Instead a user account should be created with administrator privledges.

5. avisitor

avisitor

If you'd like it to show up, you can use TweakUI or remove it from the Special Accounts List in the registry.

6. tandanus

tandanus Thread Starter

All good info folks. Thanks heaps. Ive got the thing working now and I'll tidy it up soon. Any hints on how to secure clients from each other while each client sees the network are welcome :)
    T.

7. avisitor

avisitor

If you still like the welcome screen, you can turn that back on. If you'd like to logon as "Administrator", while I strongly suggest you have another account with admin privileges, you can by doing Ctrl+Alt+Delete twice when no user is logged on.

You can copy "Administrator's" profile and settings to a new user. Create the new account first. Don't logon. To do so, right click on My Computer -> Select Properties -> Click Advanced -> Click Settings under User Profiles. -> Select the original profile -> Hit the Copy To Button. In the copy profile to box type C:\Documents and Settings\the user name. In Permission to Use, click Browse and type in the username. Hit Ok, again.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/729775

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice