1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

newly built computer turns on but NO display on monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sphinx, Oct 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sphinx

Sphinx Thread Starter

Here are some things I've noted.

It worked just fine on ANOTHER monitor. I just received a new CPU heatsink and installed that. Now tried to start up on a DIFFERENT monitor, and will not get a display, although the fans are all on. The output is through DVI and my video card only has 2 DVI outputs so I cannot test with analog.

I tried reseating the video card and that doesn't seem to help.
    I really doubt its the monitor because I have another computer just used to connect to it using the same DVI cable and it works fine.

Basically the only thing I've done is install this new heatsink. One thing I did note, is that this heatsink comes with a "backplate" that allows you to screw the heatsink in instead of using the crappy pushpins that are now standard for intel boards. The "backplate" has some double sided very strong tape and I placed it on the back of the motherboard as instructions noted. I noticed that the sticky part touched pins on the bottom of the board - Maybe the sticky tape was conducting electricity somehow? But then I thought - well then the computer would just short out and shut off.

I'm stumped...

appreciate any help, thanks!

2. Sphinx

Sphinx Thread Starter

i'm very concerned now... I tried connecting to the monitor using the VGA-DVI adapter supplied with my video card... still no display.

Also I've noticed that my usb keyboard and mouse are not getting powered when the computer is turned on.

ALSO, if I push my power button, the computer is not shutting down like it normally should ( I have to hold it down for ten seconds to force it to shut off).

has something happened to the motherboard? Could the backplate that I put on for the heatsink really be causing this problem?

3. Sphinx

Sphinx Thread Starter

PARTIALLY SOLVED!

I removed the crossbox (backplate) from the back of the motherboard. I had to use a heat gun to loosen the tape because it was very stuck on there. I then installed the normal stock intel fan and voila I get to POST screen. It seems as though the solder points on the bottom of the mobo were hitting the crossbow (which is metal) and somehow this was shorting the CPU but not the whole motherboard (thus the fans and devices stayed on).

NOTE TO ALL USERS OF THE XIGMATEK CROSSBOW ... either keep the plastic on when installed the heatsink , or make sure the tape hits no solder points (pins) on the bottom of the motherboard. I had used this before on another motherboard perfectly, but that motherboard did not have the solder pins placed the same way (the tape did not touch them).

Anyway this took me hours to figure out - hope this will help others in the same predicament.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/760411

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice