1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Newly built computer will not start

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by triple-u, Jul 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. triple-u

triple-u Thread Starter

Hi, I'm building a computer for the first time and I'm having a little trouble. I'm not too sure about the connections and cables.
    - I'm using a Gigabyte 965p-ds3 mobo and I have a 24 pin cable from the psu plugged into it, along with the ATX 12V connector plugged in.
    - I have an optical drive plugged in through an IDE cable and power from the four pin molex
    - My CPU core 2 duo is put in and the cpu fan is the one that comes with the retail package.
    - I have a video card plugged into the pci-e slot.
    - Two ddr2 sticks of ram are in the mobo
    - I've connected the power button/reset button pins to their respective spots on the mobo.

The only thing I don't have connected is the hard drive, but i don't think that is the problem.

Now, when I plug in the psu and press the power button, nothing happens. No sounds, beeps, fans running, nothing. I'm guessing that there is something wrong with the cabling that I have. I think something is wrong with the power button pins, but i'm not sure. Also, the PWR_LED pins from the case have a positive and a negative pin, but on the mobo, there are three pins for PWR_LED, one positive and two negative, does this have to do with anything.

For the power supply, nothing happens when I turn it on, but when I flip the switch on the back to turn it off, it makes a high pitch sound for about 1 second then fades away, as if it is turning off. That is why I don't think the psu itself is faulty, maybe the cables.

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice for what I can do, any help would be greatly appreciated. If you need more details, just let me know. Thanks in advance

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

From the front panel (excluding any USB connectors) do you have 4 double kk connectors such as the ones in the attached pic. If so, how are they marked?

Attached Files:

3. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

The number one thing to check is make sure standoffs were installed in the case everywhere there is a mounting hole in the motherboard and nowhere else.

As for the PWR_LED and other case connectors, you can start with them all disconnected except the one for the power switch. If you can turn the PC on, worry about them later.

4. triple-u

triple-u Thread Starter

From the front panel, i have a power switch (2 wires), reset switch(2 wires), +p LED, -p LED, and HDD LED. Almost exactly like the attached pic.

As for standoffs, there is one hole that is not screwed in because there is not hole in the case for that, is that the problem? does it not complete a circuit?

Thanks

edit: The hole is in the middle right of the motherboard

5. triple-u

triple-u Thread Starter

Ok, I figured it out, the standoffs where the problem, my case was touching parts of the motherboard causing it to short. Thanks to both of u for helping me.

Now I have another question, is there something wrong with my cpu fan? It takes a few seconds after power up to start spinning, then it stops for a few seconds, then it starts again, then just stops. I turned off the computer after 10 seconds of not spinning because i was afraid the cpu would heat up.

edit: nvm, i guess it was just a little 'rusty' from sitting there for a couple of weeks, seems to work fine now

6. ViprXX

ViprXX

your cpu fan is probably being auto controlled by the bios. Look into your bios settings.

7. triple-u

triple-u Thread Starter

What section of the bios would I look under in the bios. Power management? I can't seem to find anything about the cpu fan.

8. replay

replay

its in the pc health section..... disable the fan speed control method... and don't worry about the fan not starting for a few sec's when turned on,mine does that too

9. triple-u

triple-u Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I've got everything figured out now.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/591553

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice