1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Newly Built Computer Won't Power On

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nickdawg, Jan 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nickdawg

nickdawg Thread Starter

Hi all

I just put together a new system with the following specs:

Cooler Master Elite 330 case
    Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB Hard Drive
    Core i5 2400 cpu with stock heatsink
    Gigabyte Intel H67 LGA1155 PCI-E DDR3 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Motherboard - Retail GA-H67MA-UD2H
    Lite-On Sata DVD Burner (I forget the model number)
    Corsair CMPSU-650TX 650-Watt TX Series 80 Plus Certified Power Supply
    2x Corsair 4GB Dual Channel Corsair DDR3 Memory for Intel Core i5 Processors
    Radeon HD 5670 video card

I hooked everything up, and tried to power on, and nothing. No beeps, no fans spinning, no light on the board (I am not even sure if it has one), nada.

I did a few troubleshooting steps like remove the video card, remove three of the four sticks of RAM, tried a different psu, unplugged the hdd, and DVD drive, reseated the board and verified the cpu and heatsink were seated properly, and switched the power sw cord to all the different pins.

Both power cords are plugged in. The cpu fan cord is plugged in. There's no screws or wires touching the underside of the board.

I just don't know what to do. All the stuff is brand new (1 day old) except for the DVD drive.

It can't be the psu since two different ones didn't work. Could it be the board? I am hoping it's just something I missed and I can fix it.

Oh and yes, the switch on the psu is in the on position. I wish it were that easy.

2. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
  3. frankjohn

frankjohn

Could be the board is shorting to the case? did you use the spacers? You might have the front panel connections connected wrong..An out of case test is the way to go before putting the board into the case.

4. frankjohn

frankjohn

Refer to the trouble shooting guide for new builds at top of hardware page.

5. nickdawg

nickdawg Thread Starter

I have tried everything in that guide. Nothing works.

6. nickdawg

nickdawg Thread Starter

I just tried breadboarding it again, and no power at all. It also won't work with another case.

Does this mean the board is bad?

7. frankjohn

frankjohn

Assuming you made all the the correct connections from the power supply to the board i would say the board isno good. Did you connect the ATX 4 pin 12v to the board?

8. nickdawg

nickdawg Thread Starter

It was an 8 pin but yes.

9. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Definately sounds like a bad board to me.

10. nickdawg

nickdawg Thread Starter

I changed boards to an Asus, and replaced the processor with a new one just to be safe. I also switched cases.

I get the same problem. The board light however is a solid green so it must be getting power.

I tried turning it on without memory to see if I'd get an error, and still no power at all. I don't even get a fan spinning for a few seconds. Nothing. A lifeless hunk of metal.

11. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    It could also be that you have got a bad power supply. Even though it may light up a light, it may not be providing the proper power to start the computer.

12. nickdawg

nickdawg Thread Starter

Well the old psu is a Thermaltake I can try that. It's 430w.

But it only has a 4 pin and the board has an 8. Is that okay or do I need to buy a new psu?

13. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    If you have some friends that might have the proper power supply that you could use for troubleshooting. Or find a place to buy one that has a good return policy, that way if it doesn't correct the problem you can return it for refund.

14. nickdawg

nickdawg Thread Starter

Ok, update:

On a whim, I tried the old psu (Thermaltake 430w) one more time. It also caused the board led to light, but wouldn't start. It has a 20 pin plus the little 4 pin hanger (the corsair had the same) but only the 20 pin connected. It also only had a 4 pin (the corsair had an 8) for the other plug.

I decided to try a trick I saw online, and turned off the old psu, and held down the power button for 20 seconds. I then pressed the power button a few times. Then, I turned it on again. Nothing.

But wait... a small spin of the fan. A red light on the board, and then the system started up. Hearing it post was one of the most satisfying sounds I ever heard.

Then I switched psu's and the corsair still didn't have power at all. The green light lit, but other than that nothing.

So it's a bad psu, right? Should I stick with the 430w or just order a new psu? I wish I had tried the swap earlier. I tested the psu on the last board, and it didn't work, soooo.....

Another thing that is making me upset is the I/O shield might not fit in either case. I can't very well have a PC with a big welcome mat for dust in the back. Is there another solution?

15. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    THe IO Shield should fit any Standard ATX case.

As far as the PSU, can you return it under warranty? If so that is what I would do. Corsair is a good Quality Brand, yet occasionally a lemon will slip through.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975764

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice