1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Newly Built PC, BSOD problems before/after Windows 7 Installation?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by CaeDares, Feb 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CaeDares

CaeDares Thread Starter

For some reason my previous thread was closed after the problem had not been solved, so I'm going to try this again.

Hey everyone, I'm not exactly a huge computer geek, but I do have some knowledge. Whatever you tell me to do, I'll try my best to get done.

I bought a brand new PC about a year ago, (I'll post specs and things after my problem and what I've done to try and fix it) but was unable to use it due to my old hard drive suddenly getting a Bad S.M.A.R.T. error, which pretty much told me instantly that I could no longer use it (I do still have it, but it's collecting a little dust.)
    Anyways, I had to buy myself a brand new hard drive, a Seagate Barracuda SATA Hard Drive, 500GB.
    I installed it perfectly fine, it seemed to be working good, I started installing Windows 7 Ultimate, and then BAM. Everything suddenly locks up. I give it about an hour, thinking it's just trying to register something so it's gonna take a bit of time. I come back and it's still frozen solid, so I give it a restart and try again.
    This is where the problem begins.
    I didn't think that Windows 7 had finished installing, so I went in to try it again. I went through all the same options, except there seems to be another disk, even though I have no other disk installed. When I chose my primary disk it told me there was an older version of Windows already installed and that it would of course be moved to "windows.old", I said yeah, ok, I can just delete that later.
    It's been quite a few hours since that's happened and I can't specifically remember what happened at the point ( I'm pretty sure I was blue screened, or the computer restarted itself ), but after that point my PC was getting blue screens left and right.

I've tried all of the following:
    Starting windows in Safe Mode / with networking / with command prompt, all 3 ending up in a blue screen at precisely the same point.
    I've tried starting Windows normally, ended up with a Blue screen at the same point as the 3 safe mode tries.
    I've tried taking out my ram, blowing them clean, and putting them back in.
    I've tried using only 1 ram stick at a time
    I've tried ChkDsk and Startup Repair, which of course did nothing (Startup repair has honestly NEVER helped me in the slightest, but I still give it a go as a last resort)
    I've tried doing a system restore, but I couldn't because there were no "saved" points and It wouldn't give me the option to just comepletely reformat it.
    And finally, I've tried taking apart my ENTIRE system down to the Motherboard, and plugging everything back in as they were (This is my very first built computer, so just in case, I took photos of where each cord went in case I forgot or if I had some extra female / male's or other types of plugin's / cords left over.

My current position is this;
    I've been able to install Windows 7 x64, but when It restarts the PC to boot up normally and begin the finalization process, it gets as far as the Windows logo and "Setup is blahblahblah." It sits there for about 30 seconds and then BSOD's.

My specs

BIOS Version 0901 x64
    AMD FX(tm)-4100 Quad-Core Processor

Total Memory - 4080 MB (DDR3 1333MHz)
    EC Version - MBECG-0016

Power Supply
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171013

I honestly can't tell you what motherboard / graphics card specifics I have without taking it entirely apart again, I'm guessing it doesn't tell me in the BIOS (I just went through and searched for it)

If you absolutely need to know what all I have, I will take it apart and tell you, but if you don't I'd rather not.
    If anyone can help, please do so, I've been waiting to use this PC for months

EDIT: I gave my PC a rest since I posted this and just now tried starting it up again and getting into Windows Installation. I got the BlueScreen error "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA"
    I'll try to post all the bluescreens i find.

2EDIT: On normal startup I got the error "STOP: 0X0000007E ( 0XFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0XFFFFF8000271AC22, 0XFFFFF88003B328A8, 0XFFFFF88003B32100)

3EDIT: Tried once again to start up the windows Installation and it flat out locked up at the Windows Logo, "Starting Windows", the only part of the logo to appear was a little red dot.

4EDIT: I managed to get into Safe Mode, but the Windows Installation wasn't complete so it forced me to reboot and go into Normal Startup to complete the setup.

5EDIT: After installing my new Power Supply I've suddenly started getting "Boot_Header_Pool" and "APC_INDEX_MISMATCH", along with "IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL". After those 3 BSOD's occured, I've been getting BSOD's with no specific name.

2. kanaitpro

kanaitpro Account Closed

because you are getting so many different errors, it sounds like you may have a hardware problem. from the sound of things, something made your hard drive go bad in the first place. i would lean toward a motherboard bus problem or power supply. the first thing i would do is check the motherboard thoroughly for any bad capacitors (they look like little cylinders, if they are bad, the tops will be rounded not flat or they will have fluid coming out of them) and then look at all of the circuits and sockets really well to see if there is any sign of damage.
    then test the output from the power supply if you can. BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN DEALING WITH A POWER SUPPLY AND NEVER OPEN IT UP. IT CAN KILL YOU! all you should need is a multimeter and you can check the voltage on the pins, you should have a diagram on it or you can get one fairly easily.
    what was happening immediately before the hard drive went bad? any power surges or static discharges? the bluescreens you posted run the gamut from bad drivers to faulty memory. when you put them all together, usually it means a hardware error, and with the bad hard drive, i'd say to look in that area first.

3. rainforest123

rainforest123

Which other thread?
    If a thread has no replies for "x" # of days, I think, the thread is closed. I am a member, like you. I have no admin privileges at any forum.

Please run this forum's system info utility; a link to it was present when you started the new thread. It will provide additional information.
    Also, please provide your power supply:
    brand, model, model #, # of watts.
    such as
    :)

We are good, but not psychic; well, not me, any way. :)
    Please provide the additional information.

Which diags have you run?

HDD diag links here.
    http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

Ram & other diags
    http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html
    Run the ram diag for at least 8 hours, or until an error appears.

I like OCCT for CPU & GPU stressing, but Carrona has others.
    www.ocbase.com

How old is the motherboard? Check for bad capacitors. www.badcaps.net
    Images on right margin.

Is anything overclocked? If so set it to normal clocking.

How many sticks of ram have you?
    # of GB for each stick, please.

Hopefully your computer is set to save BSOD info in the minidump folder, c:\windows\minidumps
    Copy the 5 most recent .dmp files to a folder, zip it, not rar please
    post it as an attachment
    1 of us will analyze them for you.
    Use "go advanced"
    "manage attachments"
    browse
    upload
    close window
    submit reply

RF123

4. rainforest123

rainforest123

So, never mind this.
    However, it might be reasonable for you to remove the HDD and access <drive letter>:\windows\minidump and send us the files.

But I agree with kanaitpro. You're looking at a hardware issue here.

2 more troubleshooting steps.
    Disconnect everything except the mouse, monitor & keyboard from the case

Inside the case, disconnect / remove all add in cards & disconnect the power & data to all optical drives & to non C: hard disk drive.

You could also go into the BIOS & re-set it; either in the BIOS, or using a jumper & removal of the coin battery [ probable steps ] or load BIOS defaults or safe defautls or whatever term your BIOS writer selected.

Sadly, & I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND, I think you are going to need to open the case.

Check for unusual smells, aka something burnt.

RF123

5. rainforest123

rainforest123

You could try to repair W7, but I think that this is a hardware issue, so it might be a waste of time & effort, but it might save you from opening the case.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

The W7 mem diag is not recommended by me; instead see carrona.org's link, above.

RF123

6. CaeDares

CaeDares Thread Starter

Thank you for all the replies, it seems my thread was closed because I had left it open for x amount of days, I was going to reply to it telling that I had bought my new power supply.
    There might be more information in that thread that I have posted and forgotten to put in here, so if you 'd like to, take a look:
    http://forums.techguy.org/windows-7/1082959-newly-built-pc-bsod-problems.html

@rainforest

I was going to use the HDD Diag and get you the information but it seems it can only be used when I'm able to download it on the system...I can barely get past the startup screen on that system so it's pointless to try.

@kanaitpro
    I did as you asked and it seems there is nothing wrong with the motherboard. Nothing leaking, no round capacitors, nothing.
    I'm seriously hoping it isn't a hard drive problem and I see no reason why it would be...It's a brand spankin' new harddrive that i luckily got. If it's the reason all of this is happening I'm going to be severely ticked :/ 2nd hard drive. Lots of money. 1 year of not using this machine because of it and I have no others.

Before the Bad S.M.A.R.T error?
    Absolutely nothing. The PC started up just fine. Installed W7Ultimate just fine, everything. I was on it for about half an hour running everything at top notch until I had to restart the system for an update, and bam. Bad S.M.A.R.T. I heard nothing electrical, nothing popping, nothing exploding. Completely silent machine.

Thank you two again for replying so quickly, I'm really hoping I can get this fixed. I feel like I'll be able to with your help.

7. rainforest123

rainforest123

The .iso is a bootable disk.

Ram diags?

Troubleshooting steps I mentioned.

RF123

8. CaeDares

CaeDares Thread Starter

Well, I tried starting up the PC again to see if I'd get any sheer luck, and knowing how my luck is, I got a new BSOD. Hooray!

"win32k.sys

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGE_AREA"

This doesn't show when i attempt to start my PC in Safe Mode, but when I start up in safe mode, it gives me the previous BSOD's I mentioned.
    Note however, that it does not always give the BSOD. Sometimes it'll pop up an error saying that it cannot continue the installation in Safe Mode, so I have to restart and start up normally.

Replying to your other comment, [Sorry for shortening what it said, I was in a bit of a bad tempered mood because I was hoping it would be working.] it says "Setup is starting services".
    Alongside that, I noticed that when it gets to "Setup is starting services," the screen flickers back. This doesn't happen at any other time.

Not smelling any burns. Not seeing any sort of smoke.

I'm going to try the .ISO you asked me to complete, can I simply insert this onto my Flash Drive and launch via the flash drive? It could save me a disk.

EDIT: It seems out of pure chance that it has gone further into the installation. I got no BSOD and it's completing the installation as we speak.
    If this happens to work and my computer runs fine afterwards, I'd still like to know what I can do to prevent this from happening further and if you would still like further information to help me keep this from happening.

I also know the grief people get when searching Google for a reliable answer to their problems and ending up getting someone saying "oh it's fixed now nevermind :)". So I'd still like to finish this thread with an accurate answer.

EDIT2: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL BSOD during the "Completeing Installation" process. Now it's blue screening at the Windows logo.

9. kanaitpro

kanaitpro Account Closed

i found this on the last error message: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/17210-63-irql_not_less_or_equal-bsod . putting it together with the initial bad hard drive, i'd say something was up in the motherboard or power supply. that makes the most sense in this case. i had a problem one time with a hairline crack in the motherboard of a tacfire computer in the army. it took a week to find it, only happened when it got warmed up. it separated a circuit and caused random errors. very difficult to find.

10. rainforest123

rainforest123

and
    I think that, as kanaitpro notes, you have a hardware problem.
    You can either swap out parts or run the diags.

Best of success.

RF123

11. CaeDares

CaeDares Thread Starter

I'm going to try and run the Diags with the instructions you gave me,
    my only question is - How should I run them? Like I asked before, can I just start them up through flash drive or do they HAVE to be on a CD or DVD?

Also, none of the parts are really old, not counting how long they've probably been sitting in the warehouses they were shipped from. They're at least a year old, which is around the time I got them.

12. kanaitpro

kanaitpro Account Closed

as with any mass manufacturing process, there are no guarantees. if you take a less than .01% failure rate, when you make over a million of something, there are going to be bad ones. there is no quality control process that catches them all. good luck with it.

13. rainforest123

rainforest123

I have no experience taking a .ISO designed for a bootable optical disk & running it from a flash drive.

I suggest that you run the mem / ram diag from a bootable CD; same for HDD diags.

I agree with kanaitpro regarding manufacturing. Even hand made items are not always perfect. A home cookied meal is an everyday example of a non mass produced item. Everyone once in a while toast is burned or a souffle doesn't rise propertly.

If this is still true,
    perform clean boot trouble shooting.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

RF123

14. rainforest123

rainforest123

Sadly, nothing.

We can keep our computers clean & free of dust & other gunk; keep W7 & programs updated, but products will fail; bicycle tires, motorcycle tires, automobile & truck tries; aircraft tires; wheels on locomotives, will all fail.

Computers are no more nor less reliable.

RF123

15. CaeDares

CaeDares Thread Starter

I understand that nothing is perfect, it's always been that way. But when several non-excellent things come my way and cost me over $600 Dollars (this PC originally costed me around $470) then I'm going to get annoyed lol.

Alright, I'm going to run the mem diag and whatever else you had told me to try. It's most likely going to take a while, so if you could, please post what exactly you're wanting to see from these things and I'll post them as soon as possible.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!