1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Newly built pc, installed graphic drivers, and im stuck at 800x600.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DKRTech, Mar 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DKRTech

DKRTech Thread Starter

Greetings! I almost always try to research, and find previous people with similiar problems, go about the routes instructed by others to follow, and normally I can fix it myself without having to pay someone to do it for me.

But, unfortunally, I am stuck, lost clueless... I would shell out some $$$ but I already forked over too much this week, in attempts to rebuild my once powerful rig.

Once night, after 5 hours of stressful, late hours in adobe... My computer froze, and I haven't saved my progress in along time... I tried to quickly restart the computer, but it came to a pause during startup and stood there. I was a bit drunk, and extremely pissed... I then did the worst thing possible, and lived in regret since... I picked up the entire computer, (with the side panel off), and slammed it on the ground... I then punched the inside, a good 3-4 times, mostly right at the CPU heatsink area... I was very pissed, then went to bed... The next morning my computer was dead, wouldnt boot up. Ok, so thats how I got into this mess... And don't worry guys, really, I don't drink anymore... That was the day I quit, when I lost my egxpensive desktop.

Now, I am stuck at buying a new pc, or trying to fix this. I decided I was going to try and fix it. So without it starting up, I went out and bought a 750W Thermaltake Power Supply. Went home, installed it... It was power up for about 3 seconds, then off... I tried pulling the ram out, leavine one stick in... Same thing, I tried resetting the BIO's battery, and still no luck... So I decided now I need to go and buy a motherboard...

I went out and bought a Sabertooth x58 (1366 Socket), and a very nice CPU heatsink cooler... Also bought a new case, i figured why not just do it right! Got home, after a few hours I got it all installed... This is my first time installing a motherboard, but I'm ok with computers... I read the manual here and there, to double check myself...

Anyways... Now I got it all up and running. I got it to boot to windows 7 desktop. Keep in mind, I am using the same Hard drives. I was now on my old OS, and I was installing the motherboard drivers. Everything thus far has gone good, but my graphics card which is a GeForce GTX 460. I installed the drivers directly from nVidia's website, reset the PC, and I get this error when I try to click the nVidia quick icon by the clock;

"NVIDIA Display settings are not available. You are not currently using a display attached to an nVidia GPU".

Now I have tried downloading the drivers, and also installing clean. That did not work, so I completley installed a fresh new copy of windows 7. Again, installed all the drivers and updates (From service packs, to any sort of driver windows update has to install. After a fresh new windows, and fulled upgraded including all drivers... I still cannot get to change the resolution of the screen...

Now, my question is... Is my GPU bad? I am almost positive nothing hit the card, and it doesnt look at all damaged. I have a display on one of my monitors, but I cant change my resolution nor will the nVidia cPanel open. Or did I possibly forget to change something when switching motherboards? I went from a MSI m58x to a Sabertooth n58. I have a i7 920 @ 2.67GHz, 9 Gigs of RAM (DDR3).

Please, any help would be greatly appericated... Thank you!

2. Sponsor

3. black-wolf

black-wolf

Are you serious? This is one of the funniest posts I have seen. Punch it again (just kidding).

Did you reinstall windows after changing the mobo?

4. DKRTech

DKRTech Thread Starter

hehe, yes... I know it was an idiot, and its funny now... It's kinda like my own little version of office space, but not a bad, and it was only 3-4 punchs but it was all on the GPU heatsink, which has since been replaced...

I have reinstalled windows 7 AFTER changing to the new motherboard, and installed all drivers, service packs, and updates... I have a display on one monitor, but cannot access nVidia cPanel, and my computer doesn't see it... But when I do "Search for GPU" driver scan on nVidia, it sees there is infact a 460 GTX. And when I run a Driver Genius program, it picks up the driver saying I need to install it, when in fact its already installed.

5. black-wolf

black-wolf

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it but how do you have 9Gb of RAM?

I assume you have reseated the GPU.
    Did you try the next older set of Nvdia drivers?

6. DKRTech

DKRTech Thread Starter

I have 6 sticks total, 3 2g's, and 3 1g's. Guy at the store told me it would be fine, and i've had that setup on the old motherboard, for about a year no problem...

Yes, I reseated the CPU, assuming by that you mean putting it into the new motherboard, i cleaned it, put a thin later of thermal paste on top, sat this new giagantic heatsink on top of it, and all is well I think lol... The PC starts, everythings fine but the resolution, and the fact my PC doesnt regonize my video card, even tho it detects it ;\

No i have not tried older set of nvidia drivers, is that something worth it to do? I assume anythings worth a shot, how long back should I try? 2011, 2010?

7. black-wolf

black-wolf

No just the previous version.

No reseating the CPU but reseating the GPU (again).

8. black-wolf

black-wolf

Make sure you unistall the existing drivers first.

9. DKRTech

DKRTech Thread Starter

I have done that, also tried reinstalled windows 7 and installed a "Clean" driver for the GPU... I have pulled it out, and put it back in... The only possible reason besides the GPU is dead (But how could it be, when the monitor is plugged into the card, I get a display... Theres no DVI on the mobo so....), is that the BIO's is using windows default VGA? I've been storming through the manual, but I can't seem to locate how to change the settings in a BIO menu, which I don't think is possible? I may be screwed, I just dont want to shell out more money, and it end up not being the card. :(

10. black-wolf

black-wolf

I'm sure, but just think of all the money you are saving having quite drinking.

With what you are saying I assume that you don't have another video card to try. Any chance you can borrow one from someone. Any PCIe card will do?

11. DKRTech

DKRTech Thread Starter

thanks for taking the time to chat, i just ran my head into the door, and put my shoes on... im omw to buy another GPU, man... This sucks. 7 dollars worth of beer, turned into 600+ of just repairs... LOL... I hate my life... Take care friend.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1044674