Newly built pc randomly restarting

Dylpickol

I built my pc around a week ago and I’ve run into a problem recently as it keeps restarting without warning. It only restarts after windows has loaded and it’s usually a minute or two after. I’ve tried reseating the ram and unplugging and replugging everything. I’m running on Windows 10 and I get zero error message. It doesn’t seem to be an overheating issue whatsoever. If anyone could help that would be great.

My PC Parts:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600
ROG Strix B450-F Mobo
GeForce GTX 1660
16 GB OLOy DDR4 Ram 2 sticks
240GB Kingston SSD
2TB HDD
Apevia ATX PR600W PSU

Test everything individually if possible. Start with a RAM test. Go download memtest86, burn to DVD,. then boot and let it run overnight. If you mobo has video, then unplug GPU and use the mobo video

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
You will not get Video from that motherboard and Cpu combination so you will have to use the Graphics card all the time.

Dylpickol

Test everything individually if possible. Start with a RAM test. Go download memtest86, burn to DVD,. then boot and let it run overnight. If you mobo has video, then unplug GPU and use the mobo video
I downloaded it onto the usb and I’m trying to boot but it’s saying no operating system was found

crjdriver

One item just jumps out at me
Apevia ATX PR600W PSU
Apevia is a VERY low end pw supply. Attempting to run a 1660 with that pw supply is just asking for a problem.
If the system will run in the bios, pw ON and enter the bios. Monitor your temps and voltages for at least a few min. See if the 12V rail goes up and down.
Read your motherboard manual for the exact location of the hardware monitoring part of the bios.

Dylpickol

The 12V is sometimes going down to 11 and back up to 12.033

I’ve recently been made aware of the power supply issue. Is the Corsair CX 550 a better choice?

crjdriver

Well, you have your answer. Get a quality pw supply. The only pw supplies I recommend for running a gaming type card; Seasonic, Corsair [AX, HX, or RM models only] Antec [HCG models only] or EVGA [supernova series only]
Is the Corsair CX 550 a better choice?
It is better than what you are currently using however the cx series is for a basic build ie onchip/onboard video, no overclocking, etc. I even use a cx in my home theater system however I would never game with that system.
See this quote from the corsair site;
CX Series Modular power supply units are an excellent choice for basic system builds and desktop PC computer upgrades
Here is an example of what I would install.
https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-focus-plus-750-gold-ssr-750fx-750w/p/N82E16817151187?&quicklink=true
Right now pw supplies [and a lot of other parts] are at quite a premium due to the supply chain issues resulting from the virus.

Last edited:

Dylpickol

Well, you have your answer. Get a quality pw supply. The only pw supplies I recommend for running a gaming type card; Seasonic, Corsair [AX, HX, or RM models only] Antec [HCG models only] or EVGA [supernova series only]

It is better than what you are currently using however the cx series is for a basic build ie onchip/onboard video, no overclocking, etc. I even use a cx in my home theater system however I would never game with that system.
See this quote from the corsair site;

Here is an example of what I would install.
https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-focus-plus-750-gold-ssr-750fx-750w/p/N82E16817151187?&quicklink=true
Right now pw supplies [and a lot of other parts] are at quite a premium due to the supply chain issues resulting from the virus.
I purchased a new power supply and I’m still experiencing the same issue.

crjdriver

Well at least they are not dropping to 11V as before.
When you are in the bios, what is the cpu temp?

You are probably going to have to test each part ie ram, processor, motherboard, etc; either in a bench/test system OR swap in known parts in your system until you find the problem.

Dylpickol

Okay I’ll get to doing that. Do you know why it would only restart once windows has loaded?

Dylpickol

You are probably going to have to test each part ie ram, processor, motherboard, etc; either in a bench/test system OR swap in known parts in your system until you find the problem.
Also it says the CPU is at 40 Celsius in Bios

Dylpickol

Also it says the CPU is at 40 Celsius in

How do I run a bench test if it keeps restarting?

crjdriver

No, not bench test. A bench or test system ie a system in which you install your parts one at a time to test them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online