1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Newly connected workstation disconnects the rest from the server.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by kaleidoscopelex, Jan 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kaleidoscopelex

kaleidoscopelex Thread Starter

hi.

I added a new workstation (OS: WinXP Pro) on our office network, we are using a Linksys 24 port switch hub and a WIndows NT Server. I usually never had a problem adding a new PC in the network (win98, winME or WinXp operating systems), not until yesterday. This is the scenario:

Whenever I plug in the ethernet cable of the said new workstation at the hub, the rest of the old workstation connected to server gets cut off (disconnected) on the network. My officemates unable to access the servers mapped drive (drive F: G: etc.), plus the fact when they tried to restart the computer and try to log on...it says something like "no domain server or wrong password". But if i unplugged the new workstations ethernet cable, everything's goes back to normal. This is new to me, and this is strange. Because just recently I added a workstation using XP and never I did experience that occurences.

The office LAN has a domain/workgroup and using also NETBEUI (which is manually installed on the XP Pro CD)

What causes this problem, please help!!!

Thank you.

2. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy kaleidoscopelex...

Are you using Static IP's or DHCP ?

About the only time I've seen something similar, was when the workstation had the same IP as the server...

3. kaleidoscopelex

hi again!

I'm not really a techie, but this is how I understand our office network: Workstations log-in to the server, the TCP/IP setting is "automatically obtain IP address". But I think the only time the workstations get IP address is when I turn ON the Linksys WRT54G router (for my DSL internet access) which is set to DHCP enabled.

The Windows NT server has a script, which connects the workstation to the mapped drives, this appears whenever workstations logon to the network (winpopup also appears by the way).

We have a Drive G (an open space where users can store data/files)
    Drive F (location of our accounting software, this is the commonly accessed location)
    Drive P (network users disk space for their individual folders (one cannot access others folder))

Note: these F, G and P mapped...is the Servers Drive C.

thank you again.

4. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

That might be the problem right there...

What is the IP address of the NT server?

Is it also getting it's IP from DHCP, or is it static?

You see...these hardware DHCP servers don't have a capability of reserving IP address', what might be happening is the new workstation is getting the same IP as the server...

5. kaleidoscopelex

Honestly I'm not really sure if the NT server is getting an IP address from the router (have to check that on monday...)

As far as I remember, the server is the only PC that is unable to access the internet. Does this mean that the server is not getting an IP address from the router?

I know I have to really check it on monday, problem is that people are using the PC's (well that's a different problem, haha)

Thanks again, I realized that it could be the cause of the problem! Assuming that this is definitely the reason causing this trouble, any suggestions to resolve this?

6. kaleidoscopelex

Honestly I'm not really sure if the NT server is getting an IP address from the router (have to check that on monday...)

As far as I remember, the server is the only PC that is unable to access the internet. Does this mean that the server is not getting an IP address from the router?

I know I have to really check it on monday, problem is that people are using the PC's (well that's a different problem, haha)

Thanks again, I realized that it could be the cause of the problem! Assuming that this is definitely the reason causing this trouble, any suggestions to resolve this?

7. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Yes...leave the linksys router on at all times, you can't reserve IP's with it...but it does have a pretty fair memory of the IP's assigned if it is left on...

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536745

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice