1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Newly installed CD-RW doesn't write

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by joerep, Mar 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joerep

joerep Thread Starter

The CD-RW that came with my Sont Vaio computer malfunctioned. Best Buy installed a new one since it was under warranty. The new one is an Ultraspeed Memorex. My Computer shows it as a CD-RW and it has a recorder tab. The device manager however shows it as a CD-ROM. Nero5 was installed with the new drive. If I enable the recorder tab, it tries to write but an error message comes up saying it can't complete. If I diable the recorder tab, I get a G drive not accessable, wrong command. Short of returning it to Best Buy who took a week andd a half to install it, does anybody know if there is a simpler solution. Thanks.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I personally would take it back - they should fix it free of charge because it was not done right the first time. It shouldn't be your headache.

If you want to try to fix it, go to http://www.nero.com/us/631933457317970.html and download the latest patches to Nero. Check your Nero to see if its 5.0 or 5.5 for the update.

Also the recorder tab is Windows built-in burning support provided by Roxio. You should be able to disable it without affecting Nero, and sometimes it has to be disabled for proper operation. Don't use drag and drop in Explorer for burning CD's but use Nero to burn.

3. joerep

joerep Thread Starter

Thanks, I think I'll take your advice and return it and hope they don't take so long to fix it this time.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/213668

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice