newly installed Ext HDD prevents Ext CDRW from being recognized

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Angelina R

I have Windows XP on an Emachines 1 year old computer. 2.97GHZ 80gb Hard Drive
I have an Iomega external CDRW and it has been installed to my system and assigned Drive J. Then I bought a Maxtor External Hard Drive and installed it when the CDRW was not hooked up to the system. The External Hard drive was assigned Drive J also. When I plugged in my CDRW and then showed up in My Computer as Drive K but then it quickly disappeared from the list. A Windows window popped up saying that there was a problem with an unrecognized USB device. I searched the internet and found a Microsoft article that said this problem can occur because the original device is still identified by the registry as the drive it was originally assigned (in other words Drive J which the Maxtor External hard drive now has). I followed their instructions and uninstalled the device and asked Windows to scan for any hardware changes which it did and found new hardware but the device is still not recognized in My Computer. It showed up in Device Mgr as "Unknown Device" under USB Controller. I then reinstalled the software that came with the CDRW drive but now Device Mgr does not recognize it under DVD/CD-rom drives but only has it listed in USB Controllers as Mass Storage Device with a yellow exclamation mark. Ok. Then I turned off the Maxtor External Hard Drive, pluged in my CDRW drive and it works fine. Device MGR now recognizes it in DVD/CD-Rom drives and there is no exclamation mark under USB Controller. The CDRW isn't recognized while the External Hard Drive is connected. Ok then I changed the CDRW drive letter back to Drive J in "Computer Management" and put my Maxtor Drive back on. The Maxtor now has Drive Letter K assigned to it and works fine but the CDRW disappeared a few seconds later from My Computer and is no longer listed at all in Device Mgr. How do I fix the problem so I can have both the CDRW and the External hard drive connected at the same time?
Thanks for your help.
P.S. I am a newbie.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Create a file with NOTEPAD containing the following lines and save it as FIX.REG
-------------------------- cut after this line --------------------------------
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment]

"DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES"="1"
-------------------------- cut before this line --------------------------------

Double click on FIX.REG and say yes to the Merge Into Registry question.

Unplug ALL USB devices.
Open Device Manager.
View, Show Hidden Devices.
Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
Uninstall all devices under Disk Drives that you know are not present.
Uninstall all devices under Storage Volumes. Say no to any reboot prompts until you are finished. Also, if a Storage Volume doesn't uninstall, ignore it and move to the next one.
If you have a yellow ? with unknown devices, uninstall all of the entries there as well.

When this is done, reboot TWICE.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, connect the CD/RW drive and assign it the letter you desire in Disk Management.

Disconnect the CD/RW drive.

Connect the external hard disk and assign it the desired drive letter in Disk Management.

Now connect both and see if they stop fighting.

Angelina R

Problem solved!!! Thank you so much for the simple instructions. I followed them easily and it fixed the problem. Now both drives can be on with no conflict.

All the best,
Angie

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online