1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Newly installed memory not acknowleged

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by treefo, Feb 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. treefo

treefo Thread Starter

I recently bought some pc 100 128mb memory (yeah I know I'm running a pIII 550mhz self built) which I tested definately not DOA. I installed it by itself to test it and it's fine then I installed my old memory but under performance it still only shows 128mb as total memory. Is it possible that the computer is running 256 but the system only shows 128? Yes the memory is correctly installed I just don't know why the system won't pick it up. please help thanks ahead of time.

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Certain memory works only on certain boards. The memory you are using is probably not the right type for the board. I've seen memory recognized as half its rated capacity or not recognized at all because of this.

Check the motherboard book and see what type is recommended.

Then there is the cheap-cheap-cheap memory that I can't seem to find a board anywhere that it will work with. I attribute that to just poor-poor-poor quality.

3. treefo

treefo Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick response ,I understand certain memory works with certain boards but I tried each memory separately and they worked but together they don't combine for 256mb. That's what's driving me crazy I can't figure it out.

4. Rockn

Rockn

Look at the board specs. Does it support more than 128MB of memory

5. csamuels

csamuels

as stated before check the MB documentation. From my experience, i know some boards will only accept PC133 memory (damn compaq), even though when you put a stick of PC100 & a stick of PC133 it SHOULD run both sticks at PC100.

6. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Sometimes different brands of memory will not work together.

Looks like this is the case for you.

Depending on what your motherboard supports, here are your options:
    1. get another 128mb stick of ram like the new one you just got
    or..
    2. return the new 128mb stick and get a 256mb stick instead. Then just use the 256mb ram and leave the old ram out.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118763

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice