1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Newly installed radeon hd 6670 drivers constantly crashing.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tesladin, Oct 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tesladin

Tesladin Thread Starter

Just bought a new radeon hd 6670 and a new 500w psu from futureshop. psu installed fine.
    I installed my new video card, all excited go to run counterstrike, and it crashes. My computer will freeze for a moment, unfreeze, and i get a "driver has crashed and fixed" in the bottom right corner. If I try to run any game, or run the visualization on winamp, etc, I get this error, or sometimes a bsod. I also get it sometimes while just browsing my computer/internet. I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling the latest drivers several times. I tried using driversweeper as well. This hasn't worked. What's the problem here?

Link to other forum i asked on: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/3...eon-6670-drivers-constantly-crashing#t2467798

2. ChRoNo16

ChRoNo16

When you installed the new card, did you first un-install your drivers from the old card? if not, put the old card back in, uninstall ALL video drivers, then install the new card and new drivers.

3. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Please post your system specs, To include Make and model System if Big Box, or same info for the following if custom or home built, Mother Board (including Revision number), Processor (Exact Model Number), Ram, Video Card, Hdd(s), Optical Drive(s), Power Supply Manufacturer Model, Wattage and Amperage on the +12V Rails, OS, and any other peripherals installed on the motherboard.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

It may be overheating. Does it have good cooling, fans running, other cards as far away as possible?

5. Tesladin

Tesladin Thread Starter

Dell DM501
    Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit
    Intel pentium d dual core 3.00 ghz
    3.00 gb ram
    radeon hd 6670
    rocketfish 500w psu

i mentioned a lot of this in the other thread already that's why I linked to it.

6. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I am thinking that the Rocketfish power suply may be the problem.

7. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
  8. Tesladin

Tesladin Thread Starter

It's not overheating from what I can tell. Yes that is my power supply

9. Tesladin

Tesladin Thread Starter

One thing to note is that this video card doesn't have a connection to the power supply, it takes its power from the pcie slot.

10. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    While your power supply is an improvement over the Stock Dell Power Supply, it is still not a very high quality unit and may not be providing the power required to run your computer and your new Video card. I am posing this as a possibility, I have seen similar problems with Rocketfish power supplies (nearly all the same model as yours).

11. Tesladin

Tesladin Thread Starter

on amd website they recommend only a 400w power supply. It's not a very power hungry card.

12. Tesladin

Tesladin Thread Starter

How can I test to see if insufficient power is the problem?

13. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    The easiest way, is to get your hnds on a known good (meaning a power supply of sufficient power, that has been proven operational in a working system, New doesn't necessarily mean known good), connect it into your system, it doesn't need to be installed in the case to do this. You don't need to buy one if you've got a freind with a good spare sitting around who will let you borrow it.

14. Tesladin

Tesladin Thread Starter

alright, just hooked up a coolmax model ap-650x, it was being used in my friends computer who has a radeon hd 5450, intel quad core cpu. Tried to load up left 4 dead, crashed loading level. I think we can rule out the power supply at this point. What next..

15. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    That to me would verify that your PSU is working. Have you tried removing the Video card and using the onboard graphics? There may be a hardware problem with the card. BTW who is the manufacturer of your video card?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024618

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice