1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Newly reformatted computer, painfully slow.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sushyisama, Jan 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sushyisama

sushyisama Thread Starter

Hello TSG. :)
    I recently reformatted my computer, after getting a virus and deciding that the effort it would take to salvage my computer wasn't worth it.

Prior to getting a virus on my computer, it was very fast and didn't have problems with RAM or memory. After reformatting, however, my computer is very slow despite not having installed even 10 programs.

It's not slow in that the computer is laggy (though it is sometimes, but that's not really something that concerns me), but that programs take very long to load. For instance, I'll open up Firefox, and Windows Task Manager shows the memory usage of firefox.exe increasing by increments of 50. So it'll take 2/3 minutes to open.

In addition, installing new programs takes much much much longer than they should. For instance, it took me nearly an hour and a half to install a trial version of Photoshop CS3, only for it in the end to have a problem telling me to reinstall it. Windows Update took very long as well (nearly half a day!)

I haven't done anything different to this newly reformatted computer except for one thing -- the first thing that I did when I reformatted my computer was to install Trend Micro Anti-Virus, from a trial that I found online.

I do know that prior to installing that program, my computer wasn't too slow at all... But sometime afterwards, it became very sluggish. I don't know if the issue relates at all to the antivirus program itself, but I thought you should know that my computer didn't start out slow.

I didn't run HijackThis for a few reasons: I don't think the issue has anything to do with spyware, because the reformatting was very current, and I haven't really seen any signs of spyware on my computer... and I haven't really installed anything on the computer yet. Also, it takes me a really long time to install anything so I thought installing HijackThis would be more trouble than it was worth. ^^;

I really need help on this ASAP. I have some urgent things I need to do with my computer, but haven't been able to do so because I haven't been able to install any programs.

Thanks in advance!

---
    EDIT: Oh, I use Windows XP Pro 2002 with SP2 (the update that took me half a day), Pentium 4 2.66 GHz, 768 MB of RAM.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    did you instal the motherboard drivers ?

3. sushyisama

I don't think so. I only installed 3... Sound, Ethernet, and Graphic.

4. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Installing all the motherboard drivers might do the trick. If it was slow without installing any programs at all then almost for sure its those drivers. Otherwise you might have to uninstall the programs installed so far or reinstall the OS again and then install one or two programs at a time and use the computer for a while before installing more to see if one of the programs is causing the slow computing.

5. sushyisama

Sorry, but how would I find the correct motherboard driver?

6. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

If you don't have the driver disk that came with the motherboard or it wasn't included with a prebuilt system, you have to either go the the system manufacturers website and look up the motherboard drivers in support or you need to identify the make and model of your motherboard and go to the motherboard manufacturers site and get the drivers from thier support page for that motherboard.

7. sushyisama

I got the motherboard driver...
    There isn't much of an improvement, though there is a little difference.
    Something I'm noticing now is that if I open a program, it'll stay at ... say.. 72K or 68K memory usage, and won't shift or budge or attempt more. I also can't forcibly end the program, which is strange.

Another thing is that the CPU Usage is staying at a consistent 95~100%.

Does this sound like it might be a virus error? ...

8. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Just from the info given it does not sound like a virus. They're usually sneaky, don't draw attention unless they have to.

You should be able to identify which process(es) are causing the high CPU usage by looking at the processes in your Task Manager. You might even be able to associate the process name with a program you could subsequently uninstall and then reinstall if needed. I just had a problem with mm.exe develop and I was able to trace it to MusicMatch and remove both the software and the problem. If its one of the system processes you would probably be better off trying to reinstall Windows since it was recent--some part of the install could just have been bad, all it takes sometimes is one flipped bit in the wrong place.

If your CPU is running constantly at 95-100%, that could be responsible for all the symptoms of slowness you are experiencing.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/668774

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice