1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Newly repaired PC won't boot Win 7 or Vista

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by RogersParkGuy, Dec 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RogersParkGuy

RogersParkGuy Thread Starter

I recently had a Gateway LX6810 repaired. The system board, NVIDEA card and power supply were replaced. It is a 64bit machine. I downloaded a new version of Windows 7 from Microsoft to anoter PC, then copied each of the 3 files to CD. The Gateway does go through the normal boot process and the drive priority is DVD as first boot. When The drive spins all I get is the white cursor in the upper left corner. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thank you.

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

What did you download that is three files? Anytime I have downloaded Windows 7 from Microsoft Technet, it is one 2.5 GB iso file that has to be burned (not copied) to a DVD.

3. RogersParkGuy

I downloaded, from Microsoft, the following files: Windows Home Premium 201 1X64_setup2.box, v2setup1.box and v2setup2.box. I downloaded each file to a seperate CD but none would run. Not even the one with the exe extension. I did use DVR RW disks to allow writing to the disk.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    And that Microsoft URL is what exactly?

5. Frank4d

I suspect [digitalriver.com.[/b] Microsoft uses digitalriver.com as one of their stores that allows download of Windows 7. They are 100% legit, but used some funky "box" file format which you have to "unpack" the .exe and two .box files to an .iso file, and then burn it to a DVD without clear instructions how to do it... instead of just offering an .iso file.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Agreed that Digitalriver is legit--for students. And, I think, it's for an upgrade. Microsoft says a new motherboard (which is what I assume "system board" is) is a different computer, needing a full-price Windows. Have I got some of this wrong?

7. RogersParkGuy

8. Frank4d

9. RogersParkGuy

Thanx Frank4d. I will give it a try. Seems to fit my situation.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Thank you RogersParkGuy and Frank4d.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!