1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Neworking 2 machines question

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Culpeper, Sep 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Culpeper

Culpeper Thread Starter

Hello Tech Guys. Long time no see.

I recently acquired a new XP machine and moved my Win98SE machine to a different room. I have a wireless router connected between the two machines. An ethernet cable goes to the XP and the PCI wireless adapter is installed on the Win98 machine. Everything seems to being working fine. I have good internet access on both machines. I have a home network set up as well between the two machines. The only thing that concerns me is that sometimes the two machines do not see each other on the Microsoft Client Network. Sometimes I have to open the Network Neighborhood shortcut on the Win98 machine a couple of times before it lists both machines on the network. I have also noticed that if I reboot the XP machine, I also need to reboot the Win98 machine to reestablish a windows network connection again. I have print and file sharing on both the XP and Win98 machines. Can anyone suggest how to keep the two different machines connect all the time so the Win98 machine doesn't have to search for the XP machine each time I need it?

2. 5mi11er

5mi11er

I'd like to know the same thing. The problem, I believe, is M$'s terrible networking implementation and the fact that they've modified things a bit in the various OS versions. That keeps things from working as smoothly as they should; especially between different versions.

Even at work the occasional 3 minute delay when just trying to open a file dialog to "save as" or "open" just drives me insane. Yeah, it's "just" checking on my network drives, but why must I wait for that if I plan to save it locally? Why not "check" that ONE drive if and when I actually go to use it? Sorry, not really productive to answering your question, but it feels good to rant once in a while :)

3. Rockn

Rockn

4. 5mi11er

5mi11er

5. Culpeper

Culpeper Thread Starter

I wonder if changing the auto assign IP to manually assigning an IP will shorten the delay or lack of Win98 to connect to XP the first time. The auto assign IP assigns the same IP for each machine each time anyway.

There is little or no delay with XP finding the Win98 machine.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The reason the machines don't see each other right away is the browsing scheme used for workgroup computers.

If you only have two or three computers, and the network configuration doesn't change, you can put entries in the HOSTS and LMHOSTS files for each system for all of the system names and IP addresses on the network, that will allow quick name resolution without browsing coming into the picture.

7. Culpeper

Culpeper Thread Starter

I am a novice and need examples of these hosts and lmhosts entries. The HOSTS file in my Win98 folder seems to have a list of advertising sites to block while using Internet Explorer.

8. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

The format for the HOSTS and LMHOSTS files is pretty much the same...IP address followed by the computer name.

E.g. 192.168.0.2 comp_name

9. Culpeper

Culpeper Thread Starter

Boy, did that make a big difference. The single entry in the HOSTS file did the trick. What a difference.

10. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

You know sometimes you can waste hours trying to solve this other ways. At some point I just go for the easy solution and get it working. Glad it solved the problem for you.

11. Culpeper

Culpeper Thread Starter

12. Culpeper

Culpeper Thread Starter

Also, discovered that it is a good idea to have a user account on the XP machine with the same network name and password (if one exists) as the one on the Win98 machine.

13. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Pretty sure you are going to need that unless you enable the guest account.

Also, for XP Pro, the default setting is to require a password for network access.

14. clarke123

clarke123

Bob- What's the diff between Hosts and LMHosts?

15. Culpeper

Culpeper Thread Starter

I think LMHOSTS is for NetBIOS instead of TCP.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275068

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice